Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     PHA-979 for aligning microphone bleed?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Would the PHA-979 be the best tool for aligning the microphone bleed that occurs when I record acoustic guitar and vocals at the same time?

Since the vocal mic is slightly farther away from the guitar than the guitar mic I assume that there might be an undesireable phasing effect.  In my tests of PHA-979 it seems that it makes the guitar seem less like it's being played in a cardboard box.

Which track should I adjust?  Does the PHA-979 delay the signal and therefore I should adjust the vocal track to hold it back until the guitar sound reaches that mic?  Never mind...I just thought that through and realize that I should delay the guitar track so it matches the bleed-through, which was recorded slightly later.

Is there a distance to degrees formula that could be used to align two mics that are different distances from the source sound?  Or should I just be using some sort of time delay for this purpose?

I realize that I may be revealing a fundamental ignorance of common recording and mixing techniques that goes far beyond my ignorance of the function of this plugin.

This plug-in does not delay signal in a common sense.  It shifts the frequencies within the signal.  Some kind of distance/degrees formula may not be suitable as shift's distance varies between the different frequencies.  To get the best results I suggest you to additionally shift the guitar track within your sequencer.

Please also note that PHA-979 has plug-in delay so your host should also support plug-in delay compensation.

I suggest you to perceive PHA-979 as an additional time/phase alignment tool when you mix.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.