Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     PHA-979 Headphone monitoring

Hello.  I currently don't have PHA 979 but in the description it says it can be used "to setup headphone monitoring so that it closer resembles sound stage produced by stereo speaker monitoring"

That sounds interesting but I don't see how this functionality is implemented?  Can anyone explain this aspect?

I know: Lowpass crossfeed L/R @ 700 hz is needed and a slight time delay in this crossfeed also is part of the model.  Some speaker simulations go further implementing reflections and speaker type.

Which aspects are modelled in PHA 979 and how?

PHA-979 only models speaker phase positioning - 60 degrees between speakers.  This results in a very slight interference between speakers which is simply absent in headphone monitoring.

A corresponding preset is available.

OK, that sounds interesting.  I guess the phase difference you speak of is the time difference between Left-speaker/Left-ear, Left-speaker/Right-ear e.t.c.  This phase difference is frequency-dependant so I guess it's modelled using the track-time shifter then?

No, it's not about time difference - the speakers are located at equal distances from the listener.  Phase difference between speakers is constant for all frequencies, it's equal to 60 degrees.

Ah, now I see what you mean.

This was a very interesting aspect.  Just curious how this is implemented.

As far as I understand the phase difference in one point (one ear) between left and right is 60 degrees and vice versa for the other ear.  Does that mean you for each channel (or ear) have mixed the original channel and the other channel shifted 60 degrees.

oortone: As far as I understand the phase difference in one point (one ear) between left and right is 60 degrees and vice versa for the other ear.  Does that mean you for each channel (or ear) have mixed the original channel and the other channel shifted 60 degrees.

Yes, such mixing does happen in that preset.  However, a more important aspect is the phase rotation - it changes perception of the stereo field greatly.

Thanks for the interesting answers.

Do you have any advice where to read more about those things?  Especially the phase rotation.

You are welcome!

The PHA-979 User Guide contains additional information.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.