Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Marquis Compressor Linear compression function

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

For v.2 please consider having a linear compression curve as an option.  Using it seems like a most logical choice.

Thanks,

Vitaly.

Thanks for your suggestion, but what does "linear" mean?  In Marquis compressor you can set knee to 0.

It has nothing to do with knee.

Most of compressors around have a logarithmic transfer function.  It looks like a straight line in the logarithmic scale whose axis is in dB.

By-turn, a linear transfer function looks as a straight line in the linear scale whose axis is in volts.

I have no proof of that, but imagine a signal changing from 0.25V to 1V and we want to compress it.  Why are we applying a logarithmic transfer function for that?  If we use a linear function than we would keep a relationship between low level signals and high level signals as it was before compression.

Perhaps, I'm exaggerating things here.  However, I thought there is something to it.

I understand what do you mean.  The "linear" transfer function is no much different from the logarithmic one expect right around the knee point where it is curvy (concave).

Beside that, to my knowledge analog compressors use "logarithmic amplifier" approach. http://www.play-hookey.com/analog/logarithmic_amplifier.html

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.