Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Marquis Compressor Program-Dependent Release Contour

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

After all this, all I want to know about this feature is how to turn it off.

In one post it was quoted:

"you can partially disable program dependency with all parameters set to 10 (program dependency won't go away at all, but will be minimal).  Indeed, Release setting will be used the most - i.e. it won't be changed dynamically."

In another it was said:

"PDRC to have little or no influence should be tuned to 0.1,0.1,0.1."

Can anyone please explain how to minimize this so I can use Marquis more or less like a normal compressor (meaning the release time I set is the release time I get)?

db

You can't explicitly turn PDRC off (yet) - I don't know how different minimal setting is from actually being off.  I need to put some more time in on it and may not be able to hear a difference at minimal PDRC setting.

BTW - if the steeper graph indicates less program dependence then would't the minimal PDRC setting be 10, not 0.1 ?

With what I see...when all knobs are cranked to 10, I get what appears to be the exact release time I set.  If they are all set to .1...the thing never releases...(at least not for a long time).  Bottom line...I get pretty strange results when I set the release time at all .1's.  You can do a test and you will see varying results with different release time settings.  More often than not, I think you will want to avoid curves that are near horizontal.

So if you want what you set you release time at...to be the actual release time...then crank em all up to 10.

It should also be noted, that one of the things that gives the Marquis its uniqueness is the fact that it is a Program Dependant Compressor.

dbmusic: After all this, all I want to know about this feature is how to turn it off.

dbmusic: In one post it was quoted:

dbmusic: ''you can partially disable program dependency with all parameters set to 10 (program dependency won't go away at all, but will be minimal).  Indeed, Release setting will be used the most - i.e. it won't be changed dynamically.''

dbmusic: In another it was said:

dbmusic: ''PDRC to have little or no influence should be tuned to 0.1,0.1,0.1.''

dbmusic: Can anyone please explain how to minimize this so I can use Marquis more or less like a normal compressor (meaning the release time I set is the release time I get)?

dbmusic: db

And a big yes too that one.

kylen: You can't explicitly turn PDRC off (yet) - I don't know how different minimal setting is from actually being off.  I need to put some more time in on it and may not be able to hear a difference at minimal PDRC setting.

kylen: BTW - if the steeper graph indicates less program dependence then would't the minimal PDRC setting be 10, not 0.1 ?

dbmusic: In one post it was quoted:

dbmusic: ''you can partially disable program dependency with all parameters set to 10 (program dependency won't go away at all, but will be minimal).  Indeed, Release setting will be used the most - i.e. it won't be changed dynamically.''

dbmusic: In another it was said:

dbmusic: ''PDRC to have little or no influence should be tuned to 0.1,0.1,0.1.''

dbmusic: Can anyone please explain how to minimize this so I can use Marquis more or less like a normal compressor (meaning the release time I set is the release time I get)?

It was a mistake.  You should use 10,10,10 to disable PDRC.

Elvenking: With what I see...when all knobs are cranked to 10, I get what appears to be the exact release time I set.  If they are all set to .1...the thing never releases...(at least not for a long time).  Bottom line...I get pretty strange results when I set the release time at all .1's.  You can do a test and you will see varying results with different release time settings.  More often than not, I think you will want to avoid curves that are near horizontal.

Elvenking: So if you want what you set you release time at...to be the actual release time...then crank em all up to 10.

Elvenking: It should also be noted, that one of the things that gives the Marquis its uniqueness is the fact that it is a Program Dependant Compressor.

Wow!  This must mean all the re-mastering I did last night with the Marquis PDRC settings at .1, .1, .1 actually sound like crap.  And here I was thinking this compressor sounds awesome!

But what do you expect from a one-eared musician? :-)

db

Again, the results when the Parameters are set at 0.1, 0.1, 0.1 can vary greatly depending on the release time.  I noticed that past a certain value, the compressor will never release, but you can back the release time off and begin to see reasonable release times.  But I found them unpredictable.  Theres no saying that you can't get desirable results from doing that.  And ultimately, if it sounds good, dont change a thing.

Elvenking: With what I see...when all knobs are cranked to 10, I get what appears to be the exact release time I set.  If they are all set to .1...the thing never releases...(at least not for a long time).  Bottom line...I get pretty strange results when I set the release time at all .1's.  You can do a test and you will see varying results with different release time settings.  More often than not, I think you will want to avoid curves that are near horizontal.

Elvenking: So if you want what you set you release time at...to be the actual release time...then crank em all up to 10.

Elvenking: It should also be noted, that one of the things that gives the Marquis its uniqueness is the fact that it is a Program Dependant Compressor.

dbmusic: Wow!  This must mean all the re-mastering I did last night with the Marquis PDRC settings at .1, .1, .1 actually sound like crap.  And here I was thinking this compressor sounds awesome!

dbmusic: But what do you expect from a one-eared musician? :-)

Elvenking: Again, the results when the Parameters are set at 0.1, 0.1, 0.1 can vary greatly depending on the release time.  I noticed that past a certain value, the compressor will never release, but you can back the release time off and begin to see reasonable release times.  But I found them unpredictable.  Theres no saying that you can't get desirable results from doing that.  And ultimately, if it sounds good, dont change a thing.

dbmusic: Wow!  This must mean all the re-mastering I did last night with the Marquis PDRC settings at .1, .1, .1 actually sound like crap.  And here I was thinking this compressor sounds awesome!

dbmusic: But what do you expect from a one-eared musician? :-)

I was just making a joke...and offering a slight allusion to what is, at least in my audio-challenged opinion, the rather arbitrary nature of this feature.

Elvenking: Again, the results when the Parameters are set at 0.1, 0.1, 0.1 can vary greatly depending on the release time.  I noticed that past a certain value, the compressor will never release, but you can back the release time off and begin to see reasonable release times.  But I found them unpredictable.  Theres no saying that you can't get desirable results from doing that.  And ultimately, if it sounds good, dont change a thing.

I noticed this too dbmusic and Elvenking.  The unpredictability is probably just natural considering the interaction between PDRC, release and actual program content.  After picking a fairly arbitrary common release time (slow or fast) and setting a release contour via PDRC then I think it's gonna be pretty simple to go back and dial-in the sweet spot for the release knob to tune the entire sound.

One thing I was hoping to clear up by further testing, bmanic alluded to it earlier...I'm trying to figure out if the actual release time is sort of broken up into beginning, middle, end - and if PDRC param1 influences beginning release, param2 middle release, param3 end or final release.  Or do params influence all parts of the release time equally - more or less - if it can be stated that is?  Anyway that's the last thing I'm listening for I think before awarding myself the Marquis Operator Certificate!

Each filter alters the contour as a whole.  The best way to look at it is this.  You set Param 1 (setting an intial slope of the contour), then you set param 2 and it is layered on top of Param 1, then you can set Param three, which then layers on top of the contour formed by Param 1 and 2.  What I think is the case, is that only one filter would only represent a linear change in the contour.  However, you can combine two liner changes to form a curve.  How this is working at a detailed level, I do not know.  I will see if I can dig up some math on it.

Say if there was only one parameter, you would be able to vary the slope

I certainly wouldn;t mind more clarity there...but that is what I can gather from the posts here.

kylen: I noticed this too dbmusic and Elvenking.  The unpredictability is probably just natural considering the interaction between PDRC, release and actual program content.  After picking a fairly arbitrary common release time (slow or fast) and setting a release contour via PDRC then I think it's gonna be pretty simple to go back and dial-in the sweet spot for the release knob to tune the entire sound.

kylen: One thing I was hoping to clear up by further testing, bmanic alluded to it earlier...I'm trying to figure out if the actual release time is sort of broken up into beginning, middle, end - and if PDRC param1 influences beginning release, param2 middle release, param3 end or final release.  Or do params influence all parts of the release time equally - more or less - if it can be stated that is?  Anyway that's the last thing I'm listening for I think before awarding myself the Marquis Operator Certificate!

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.