Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Marquis Compressor Program-Dependent Release Contour

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

For example set all 3 params to 1.80, 1.80 and 1.80 and then to 1.14, 10.0, 10.0.  You will see the difference immediately.

Aleksey Vaneev: For example set all 3 params to 1.80, 1.80 and 1.80 and then to 1.14, 10.0, 10.0.  You will see the difference immediately.

This does not prove any reason why there should be three knobs.  1.8 x 3 = 5.4 and your second set of parameters add up to 21.14.  Of course there is a difference.  But why 3 knobs that go to 10, and not one that goes to thirty.  No good reason.  For the first set of parameters, I would just set the theoretical, "Single Knob" to 5.4...and for the second...I would set it for 21.14.

Aleksey Vaneev: You may hear like release becomes shorter or longer.  If release contour is steeper, release becomes shorter.  It does not actually become shorter, but the overall release stage behavior changes - especially on highly dynamic material.  It's too empiric element to describe it in some objective words.  But it works, of course.

What??  This is beginning to sound like a BS feature.  The compressor is nice.  But, you can kill the whole Release Contour feature.  Apparantly, if it cannot be described....it does nothing predictable.  Is this supposed to cater to the people who just want to turn knobs untill stuff sounds good?

I am more of a person who wants to know what something is going to do when I make an adjustment...at least at a scientific level.

Look, why don't you use your ears?  Set the knobs to 10, 10, 0.10 and do some very heavy compression, like threshold to -35 and ratio to 8:1.  Now listen to how it pumps.  Then set it up like 0.10 10 and 10.  Now listen again, the initial onset of the release is different.  It's quite subtle but it's there.

Release set to 0.1, 10, 10

Release set to 10, 10, 0.1

Listen carefully to how the cymbals swell with the pumping, one can clearly hear a difference there.

As for your last question, yes, it's there for people with ears who want to finetune the release behaviour.  Simple as that.  If you don't want to tune them, then just keep them around 1 or 10 all the time.

- bManic

Ok, I am glad you can hear the difference. (Twilight Zone Theme Plays Here)

Ok...please describe the difference in the function between the Param 1, Param 2, and Param 3 knobs.

There is no answer to this here.  I understand that you are a fan of the Voxengo pulgin.  Wonderful.  I bet if I was to blind test you on those two waves....you would not know the difference.  Not a doubt in my mind.

I never said that the release contour did nothing...I am saying one knob would be as good as three.  That is...if the graph has anything to do with th release behaviour at all.

In addition...the guy from Voxengo says this:

Creator: Aleksey Vaneev

Quote Date: Nov 4, 2005, 9:40am

Jan, yes, the same (dependency on the envelope of the audio signal) happens in Marquis.

3 parameters = 3 multipliers, for more flexibility.  For example: 3.0, 1.0, 3.0 is the same as 3.0, 3.0, 1.0 and 1.0, 3.0, 3.0.

So how can your wavs be any differenct.  You are practicing the fine art of hearing things that are not really there.

bmanic: Look, why don't you use your ears?  Set the knobs to 10, 10, 0.10 and do some very heavy compression, like threshold to -35 and ratio to 8:1.  Now listen to how it pumps.  Then set it up like 0.10 10 and 10.  Now listen again, the initial onset of the release is different.  It's quite subtle but it's there.

bmanic: Listen carefully to how the cymbals swell with the pumping, one can clearly hear a difference there.

bmanic: As for your last question, yes, it's there for people with ears who want to finetune the release behaviour.  Simple as that.  If you don't want to tune them, then just keep them around 1 or 10 all the time.

bmanic: - bManic

If those knobs bother you don't use them, it's that simple.  If you find some time to experiment with them, you will realise how nice of a feature is it.

Illiron: If those knobs bother you don't use them, it's that simple.  If you find some time to experiment with them, you will realise how nice of a feature is it.

The feature does not bother me, in fact it seems like a good feature.  However, the fact that there are three knobs that essentially add up to what one knob could do....is beyond me.

Elvenking: The feature does not bother me, in fact it seems like a good feature.  However, the fact that there are three knobs that essentially add up to what one knob could do....is beyond me.

Not bothered?  You're ranting about knobs!

Though I still don't get the point of this feature, I do have high regard for the developer.  If Aleksey wants to use 10 knobs I'm sure he would have a reason.  Doesn't mean we all have to find them useful.  Personally, I could do without them.  But your cynicism does not feel the least bit constructive.

db

Elvenking, seeing your attitude, I do not think I can give you a reasonable explanation then.  Of course, these release contours are NOT about summing three parameter values.  These are FILTERS.  This is roughly the same as adjusting center frequencies of the filters.

OK, you may not hear the difference between curved and linear contours, but THERE IS an obvious difference between generally steep and flat contours.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.