Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Marquis Compressor Program-Dependent Release Contour

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

"The steeper the contour the less program dependence is exhibited by the compressor..."

What exactly does this mean?  It is not clear to me what "program dependence" is.

Thanks,

db

This 'program dependence' affects release behavior.  By 'more program dependence' I mean that compressor will compress more in accordance with the original signal and thus the sound will be less distorted.  When you are specifying a steep contour, compressor's 'program dependent' time frame will be smaller and thus release stage won't be very smooth.

Sorry Aleksey, but this is still not clear.  What exactly am I supposed to be hearing when adjusting this contour?  Is steepinging/flattening the contour simply a way of adding/removing distortion from the final signal?  What would be a practical example where this contour adjustment would be useful?

Thanks,

db

You may hear like release becomes shorter or longer.  If release contour is steeper, release becomes shorter.  It does not actually become shorter, but the overall release stage behavior changes - especially on highly dynamic material.  It's too empiric element to describe it in some objective words.  But it works, of course.

Hmmm ...

Usually, 'program dependance' means, that the release time is changed according to the envelop of the audio signal.

I.e.: When short percussive signals pass through the comp, the release time would be shortened, while long sustained signals, will lengthen the release.

So You can set short release times, without distorting long sustained notes / signals.

I assume this is also happening, here.

BUT,

why are there 3 parameters ????

Is the whole release curve 'divided' into three consecutive parts

and for each part, the 'program dependance' can be set individually ??

bye, Jan

Jan, yes, the same (dependency on the envelope of the audio signal) happens in Marquis.

3 parameters = 3 multipliers, for more flexibility.  For example: 3.0, 1.0, 3.0 is the same as 3.0, 3.0, 1.0 and 1.0, 3.0, 3.0.

Aleksey Vaneev: 3 parameters = 3 multipliers, for more flexibility.  For example: 3.0, 1.0, 3.0 is the same as 3.0, 3.0, 1.0 and 1.0, 3.0, 3.0.

Hm... do not really understad "more flexibillity".

Does it mean, it's for finer adjustments ?

If I had only one parameter and I would set it to 9, would I get the same result, as above ?

And,

if I want to disable 'program depency', should I set all three to 10 ?

If yes, will the 'real' release time be the same as set with the Release parameter ( or shorter ) ??

bye, Jan

I must admit that I was just about to echo what Jan said.  I too noticed that the knobs affected the exact same thing.  So why are there 3 ?  Shouldn't there be one which can give you the full range of values.  This is why I never understood the release contour section.

I think that in most cases, one knob that produces the identical results to three knobs is much more desirable and easy to work with.  When you see three knobs, you expect each to do something different.

Did you maybe do this for more accurate setting of the PDRC ?  Can you explain a bit more about this Aleksey ?

Cheers

Fots

With one knob it would not be possible to adjust curvature of the release contour.  With three knobs you can adjust between linear and curved contour.

Jan, yes, you can partially disable program dependency with all parameters set to 10 (program dependency won't go away at all, but will be minimal).  Indeed, Release setting will be used the most - i.e. it won't be changed dynamically.

Aleksey Vaneev: With one knob it would not be possible to adjust curvature of the release contour.  With three knobs you can adjust between linear and curved contour.

OK, thanks Aleksey.

I have a bit of a problem, to see these differences on the graph.

Don't know if this is possible, but maybe You can let the graph 'exaggerate',

so that it gets more clear, for the user ...

Will have to find some time for thorough testing, but I guess this will be my next Voxengo plugin :)

bye, Jan

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First