Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     GlissEQ GlissEQ/SPAN display causing hard lock

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

I've been using your plugins for a while now and have recently bought a desktop computer for doing mixing on.  Here's the problem:

Previously, I was working on a Sony Vaio Z series laptop, and was using a lot of Voxengo plugins (GlissEQ, SPAN, Voxformer, etc) in Pro Tools 8 with no problems.  I've moved to my desktop now, and I am having good success, with one exception--

GlissEQ and anything that has the SPAN graphic spectrum analyzer in it will cause my computer to HARD lock if the GUI interface is opened.  But if I do not open the GUI to see the spectrum analyzer, the plugin functions normally and there is no problem.

Can you give me some hints as to where to start troubleshooting?  It seems to be related to graphic card drivers or something, but I'm not sure how that display was implemented.  Does it use 3d drivers or some sort of overlay?

Thanks for any help you can provide,

--Hans

Both GlissEQ and SPAN use some very basic displaying functions, no 3D or any acceleration.  So, this problem may indeed be caused by graphics drivers.  But I have no idea, unfortunately.

Which audio host and OS are you using, how much RAM installed?

I'm using Pro Tools 8ac3, with the FXpander VST to RTAS wrapper plugin.

Windows Vista 32 bit, 4GB RAM.

As I said before, I have a laptop that I'm running Pro Tools 8 with, also vista 32 bit with 4GB ram and I don't have an issue.

I've troubleshooted this far: If I disable the aero glass interface while running Pro Tools, I don't have a problem with showing the GUI of GlissEQ or SPAN.  However, as soon as I go to the '?' about page in the plugin UI, and then click to exit to the spectrum display, that is when I get the hard lock.  Very odd...

--Hans

Oh, update.  That bit about disabling windows aero glass and switching to and from the '?' about page is inaccurate.  It seems after I have the GUI open for a certain amount of time, it will lock up my system.  Hard lock, mouse stuck, system beep, and sound stuck.

--Hans

Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can help with this problem - it looks impossible for me to debug: hard lock is very different to a crash which at least comes with a crash log.  The only "solution" I can offer in this case is refund.  Or you may try to understand what's different between laptop and your desktop computer and try to fix it - but it's tedious, of course - most probably the problem is related to video drivers.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.