Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     HarmoniEQ HarmoniEQ Crashing Cubase When CPU is High........

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Well first of all I just want to thank Aleskey for the best plugs on the market and I do own "almost" all of them.

Lately I have had 2 really bad Cubase hangs when I bring up an instance of HarmoniEQ when my CPU is really high.  Now here's where everyone shouts, "Then don't do that!".  Well, easier said then done, especially when I'm in the heat of a cool mix and the mouse is smokin'.  I have the latest and greatest hardware and software (I'm also a system builder and am obsessive about keeping current).  What's annoying about this problem is that Cubase won't recover and I can kiss my mix goodbye if it wasn't saved right before the hang.  I haven't had this problem with any other plugs.

Can anything be done about this within the plug?  I do understand that HarmoniEQ can be very CPU consumptive but I don't think it should kill my mix if I underestimate whether or not I have enough CPU resources available for another instance.

bmuskus

It should not be doing so for sure - CPU load can't be the trigger for hang-up or crash.  If HarmoniEQ crashes - it should be doing so even if CPU load is low.

Is this crash repeatable?  If it is repeatable, can you try inserting another (non-Voxengo) heavy CPU plug-in in the same scenario?

This crash can be strictly related to Cubase's stability on high CPU loads.

Wow that was fast............

I will do some debugging using your suggestions and post the results tomorrow.

I've never really had to worry about CPU resources when loading any plug because usually, if the system is "maxed out" it will just degrade but the plug will load and I can sill issue a file>save or simply unload the plug....slowly but I can still recover.  I may get stuttering and slow video refresh but the plugs usually load with no major problems.  That's different than what I experience with HarmoniEQ...it just won't load if it doesn't get what it wants.

Just as a note, when I experienced it again this morning, I could not stop the transport, nor do a file save.  I was able to do an Alt-Ctrl-Del then end Cubase.  At that point, Cubase gave me the message (ever so slowly) to save the current project so I clicked OK and breathed a sigh of relief....premeturely.  I tried to get back into the saved project and it had a size of 0 KB.  Obviously coruppted.

Sorry for the double post....this is the version I wanted to be posted.

Wow that was fast............

I will do some debugging using your suggestions and post the results tomorrow.

I've never really had to worry about CPU resources when loading any plugs in Cubase SX because usually if the system is "maxed out" it will just degrade but the plug will load and I can sill issue a file>save or simply unload the plug....slowly…. but I can still recover.  I may experience stuttering and slow video refresh but the plugs usually unload with no major problems.  That's different than what I experience with HarmoniEQ...it just won't load if it doesn't get what it wants.

Just a note:

When I experienced it again this morning, I could not stop the transport, or do a file save.  I was able to do an Alt-Ctrl-Del then end Cubase.  At that point, Cubase gave me the message (ever so slowly) to save the current project so I clicked OK and breathed a sigh of relief....prematurely.  I tried to get back into the saved project and it had a size of 0 KB.

Thanks for your swift response.

PS.  While I have your attention, I would also like to suggest a critical plug that I simply can’t do without and don’t see in your product list.  You see, I would like nothing more than to totally get away from using any other digital audio software vendors’ plug-ins except yours….they are that good.  However there is one plug from a company (that shall remain nameless although their name could make one sea-sick…hint-hint) that performs 60/50 Hz hum removal.  Could you please develop a 60/50 Hz hum removal plug that is “at least” as flexible as theirs?  I would pay a nice “realistic” price for a plug like that.  It is most needed.

Thanks you,

bmuskus

I performed some tests last night and it is definitely a Cubase degradation issue due to low CPU resources.  I brought Cubase to its knees by adding other vendors CPU intensive plugs.  Even though they degraded my system, the loading process would eventually complete and would allow me to control Cubase again.

It appears that the reason HarmoniEQ caused such a crippling degradation is because I use the “Mix – Bass String Noise” preset which causes HarmoniEQ to use 16% of my CPU resources.  That’s approx.  416 “real” mhz of a single core Athlon 64 Venice 3800+ overclocked to 8.5 x 306 (2601mhz) with 2gb of CAS 2.5 ram.  This surprised me.

Within HarmoniEQ, it appears that the High Quality setting causes the largest CPU spike.  The default preset for HarmoniEQ uses the High Quality setting.  I changed the default preset to use the Auto Quality setting instead which causes HarmoniEQ to initialize with about 8% less CPU.  This small change could potentially save me hours of rework in the future.

I am certainly not complaining because I know that it was developed to run as efficiently as possible and that your software development is ahead of the hardware curve.  I guess I will just have to be more aware of when and how I use HarmoniEQ.

Should I post my request for a Hum Removal plug-in to a different group?

Thanks,

bmuskus

I have a great deal of ideas for AC power hum removal plug-in.  I will be implementing them in the future.

So, that was problem with Cubase alone (even though HarmoniEQ's CPU load contributed to its severity)?

Yes, there were no problems with HarmoniEQ.

I will be first in line to buy your hum removal plug-in :)

Thanks and Happy Programming!

bmuskus

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.