Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     HarmoniEQ A small feature request

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

HarmoniEQ never fails to impress me!  I keep coming back to this eq for nearly all tasks.  However, I recently recorded some drums and am having problems with a snare drum that I want to EQ.  I really love what the eq itself does to the sound (controlling the amount of ring) but the "overall" sound that HarmoniEQ adds to the sound, even when no eq is being applied, does not suit the snare, which brings me to my question:

Could you make a mode that makes HarmoniEq's inherent sound become totally transparent/neutral?  Currently adding harmoniEq on a track changes the sound quite a lot and it seems that the eq mode itself has nothing to do with the 'pasted on' sound of HarmoniEq itself, or?

I love the soft eq mode and how well it works as a surgical mastering type eq too but I'd never use HarmoniEq in mastering due to that inherent sound.  If I could just get the filters themselves and total control over the inherent sound (on/off switch, or even better, a knob to gradually exagerate or make the effect more subtle) of harmoniEq it would absolutely kill and you could comfortably sell it as a good mastering eq too!

EDIT: I just noticed the PhasyP mode in the latest version.  This seems to bypass the 'extra sound' of the eq!

EDIT 2: ..but unfortunately the eq shape/sound of the 'soft' mode is far better for corrective, steep Q mastering purposes than the PhaseyP mode. :( Is there a possibility of doing a SoftP mode? :) It's amazing how 'transparent' and natural the Soft mode sounds!  It kind of reminds me of the sound or lack of sound of the Weiss EQ mk2.

Cheers!

bManic

Unfortunately, I do not think EQ will work if I remove that 'inherent sound' (PhasyP does not indeed feature it either).  It's interaction of this special processing coupled with stanard EQ filtering (HarmoniEQ uses almost the same filters are in GlissEQ, for example) bring the overall performance of HarmoniEQ.

So if I buy Gliss EQ I could get the same smooth eq curve as the 'smooth' option in harmonieq?  I'm really looking for an extremely transparent and natural eq that can do very steep Q without killing the surrounding material and so far only HarmoniEq's smooth mode has impressed me.  I'd be very interested in how the smooth mode sounds without the transient boosting inherent sound of the eq itself!  Or maybe introduce this smooth eq mode to glisseq if you want to keep that as your main 'all round' eq?

I'll download the glisseq demo now and give it a listen but if I remeber correctly it was definately not even near as smooth as harmonieq is.. it's a long time since I tried the demo tho.

Cheers!

bManic

There is 'Soft' option in HarmoniEQ now (probably name changed from some previous verison).  Do you mean this 'Soft' option?

I would also like to know if Soft mode works equally good for your purpose in the High and Normal quality modes?

Yes, I've been talking about that 'soft' option all the time.  It's the one I like most and is my default.  It's wonderfully transparent and would work for surgical mastering very well but like I've stated above it's too destructive with the inherent sound of harmonieq (that thing that brings transients forward a bit and sounds like expansion at times).

So, what I've been asking is:

Can you make a version of the 'soft' mode with the inherent 'transient breathing' turned off? :)

Cheers!

bManic

You are killing me. :) OK, I'll see if I can add yet another 'Soft' mode without that specific processing.  However, be warned that it may not sound as good as with this processing.

I myself am curiouse as to how this mode would sound.In theory it seems like a good option to add.

I have posted beta v1.3.1 - it features 'SoftP' mode.  I personally do not like it that much - 'special' processing HarmoniEQ performs still sounds better to me - even if it has a too coloring effect.

Awesome!  I'll take look.  If it works well then I promise you I wont bother you for another month! .. maybe ;)

ok, just tried it.  It's fantastic!  Just as I imagined.  Now HarmoniEq can be used comfortably in a mastering situation without it starting to 'pump' weirdly.  That softP mode works very well for cutting sharp notches and killing unwanted frequencies.  At 96kHz this thing sounds SUBLIME!  Eat your heart out weiss! :)

-bManic

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First