Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Elephant A Heard of Elephants...

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

I have just been experimenting with Elephant on multiple group tracks, i.e. one for drums, one for the solo track, and one for everying else.

The idea being to make each part as 'loud' as possible, before sending it through Soniformer, CurveEQ and the a final Elephant (with a minimum if any limiting)

I got the idea after reading about how the Waves loudness maximiser (whatever it is called) was multiband and thus should sound 'louder' because it maximises individual frequency ranges...  I thought to myself I could do a similar thing with Elephant, only grouped by instrument instead of frequency.  Also, because of the latency introduced by Elephant, I found I had to include it on all group tracks anyway even if I only wanted to use it on 1.  No big deal.

I was just wondering if anyone else was doing this, or something similar?  Or if anyone has any comments or suggestions?

Additional compression of groups is probably not a 100% way to get louder mixes.  The most important thing is to have a 'loud' frequency balance of the whole mix.  Since we perceive sounds around 4-5kHz range as generally louder than lows and highs you should treat this range accordingly - probably increase it with the EQ.  Another option is to EQ vocals in a special way so that this 4-5k range is loud - such vocals will make the whole mix sound louder while other instruments won't sound hyped due to the overall EQ.

In that case does the Waves limiter actually make things louder...

Not that I am totally obsessed with loudness.

It's just that, I thought if you had the instruments peaking at different times, then using different limiters may be a good idea... except I suppose I am getting that with soniformer.

I was using Elephant as a compressor last night... till I came to my senses and placed a real compressor in the chain ahead of Elephant.  Although, I must say as a Limiter, Elephant makes an excellent compressor. :)

When I compare the multiple limiter version with a similar mix done with only a single limiter, the multiple limited version definetly sounds louder, but that could just be a fluke... anyway, I'll stick with it for awhile and see how it goes.  I am not doing heavy boosting here, I read somewhere that you can boost 8dB (as a rule of thumb) without much perceptable limiting.  I am probably only working with 1-2 dB, i.e.  Elephant is only kicking a little in on the loud peaks, not all the time.  Which is probably what it is designed for anyway.

Your 'multi-limiter' approach is OK, but I think it can destroy dynamics easily.  Using compressors is probably a safer way to achieve loudness.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.