Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant clip indicator

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hello,

what is the function of the clip indicator ?

I was using the elephant2 in clip mode and could overload it very shortly,without clip indicator giving any counts, but with audible short clipping (about 5 to 6 samples).

Also clipping was almost identical to just overloading my DAW.

Yannick

Clip indicator is useful with EL-1, AIGC-1 and AIGC-2 modes.  For other modes it is not useful.

The 'Clip' mode is best used with oversampling enabled - this way it will sound much better than a simple overloading.

Thanks.

I did run 4x oversampled - on a clarinet my DAW clipping sounds just slightly worse than the Elephant2.

I must add the Soundscape DAW has had quite benign (and sometimes useful) digital clipping since '93 ...

So we turned to EL-2 mode which caught the 1-2 dB limits quite well.

The noiseshaping seems quite moderate - is it very effective ?  Is there a way to tell which apparant bit depth you get (keep) noiseshaping to 16 bit ?

Yannick

But that's clipping, of course it can be improved only a little.

Yes, noise-shaping is moderate so that it does not add too much oscillation in the higher frequencies.  I believe this noise-shaping is pretty good, sonically.  I have not used any equal-loudness curves since I do not really think they help much.

I think knowing the noise-floor you get is not of much use since the most important thing is how noise-shaping contributes to the final sound clarity.

I know the noisefloor - it shows up on my metering soft ...

I just wondered what the 'relative' bit depth/resolution is when noise shaping to 16 bit.  I've read that we can get around 19 bit out of a 16 bit medium this way.

Yannick

Noise-shaping gives a non-uniform noise-floor boost.  In the case of Elephant it is stronger in the lower frequency end.  Up to 14kHz it gives around 1 bit more resolution, while below 1000 Hz resolution grows exponentially.  It is infinite at DC.  You may observe this yourself with a spectrum analyzer, by dithering a sinewave signal.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.