Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Bessel high pass?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

I have no idea whether or not this would be practicable, but would it be possible to include a Bessel type high-pass filter in Elephant?  From what I have read this type of filter gives less group delay (phase distortion) in the pass band than Butterworth etc..  Just a thought.

Thanks for the tip, yes I have plans on including several filter types.  Actually, I'm designing Elephant v2 now.  Also, there are plans on implementing a new limiting mode.  Oversampling (2x, 3x, 4x) will be made selectable meaning only a single DLL will be necessary.

I'm looking forward to it.

Hey this sounds good to me - great ideas Andrew & Aleksey - if it's not an April fools joke, hehe :)

That's not a joke for sure :) Tough competition time. :) (which IS a neverending joke ;)

hi folks.

The bessel highpass filter seems to take out Waaaay more bottom end than the other one. -

Is this because It's more effective, or is there some other reason?

Kind regards

Dave Rich.

Hi Dave, I think that that is just the nature of Bessel filters -- although their passband is linear phase (unlike Butterworths), they start rolling off at a higher frequency above the cut-off frequency.  This means that you probably need to set a lower cut-off with the Bessels than with Butterworths so as not to affect your audible lows too much.  If you do this, the Bessels will provide less ultra-low cut than Butterworths, but in return they will have a better phase response in the audible band.  AFAIK it's an unavoidable trade-off.

The reason Bessel filter 'eats' more frequency content is because its roll-off is pretty wide in comparison to Butterworth filter.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.