Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant trying out elephant - help needed to limit please

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hello All

Pardon me if the language is not exact but I am trying to describe something I am not good at - thank you.  I am trying out Elephant and it seems to have a very good open "transparent" sound.

What I am missing in Elephant, is a way to "hard limit" a ceiling level, say I want to limit to exactly -0.2 dB but no more... like is done on many recordings, how is this done best?  I have to test around with the controls and waste time instead of simply setting a setting like that like I do in another limiter, for example the Izotope Ozone one.

Why can't this be done?  Can this at least be an option in a future version, maybe?  It would be great.  Otherwise the sound may clip, right?

Thank you.

I suggest you to use the ElephantHQ version.  It still won't allow you to specify an exact ceiling, but in fact it follows some ceiling (which can't be defined in a definitive way).  So you just have to tweak the Out Gain knob and you'll get that 'brickwall' picture.

The fact you can't specify the ceiling is a feature of Elephant.  It was simply designed this way, and it is impossible to make it work like any other limiter.

Thank you very much Aleksey for your quick reply.  I am unused to this method having worked with other kinds of limiters in the past... but I trust Elephant will not generate digital distortion and clipping, right?  Thank you again.

Elephant by itself won't generate much distortion if used carefully.  Of course you should also monitor the clip-meters of your audio host program and lower a little the Out Gain in Elephant if you see some clipping.

Gee,

Just set the out gain @ +0.3 and you'll never go over -0.1 unless you are doing some very nasty limiting.

I'm currently doing very gentle limiting and I have my out gain set @ +0.4.  If the clip meter in Cubase lites up it tells me I'm pushing Elephant to hard.  I just lower the Soniformer (which is before Elephant) output a bit and all's good.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.