Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Elephant MS Elephant?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

It would be nice to have 3 limiters in Elephant all in one.  The signal gets split into M/S, then each signal is limited with its own options and then joined back together.  After M/S has been processed seperately, a final elephant limits the overall signal.

It's basicly 3 elephants next to each other, with the exact options as they already exist.  On the left is the Mid-phant, in the middle the Side-phant and finally on the right, an Output-phant.  Selfspeaking, a mute/solo button for each process would be necessary.

At the moment I use a bus construction in my host to do exactly this and it sounds really good.  The result sounds much cleaner than just one Elephant for the entire process.  It also helps alot to cut off all lower frequencies below 200hz on the side signal.

Thanks.

Thanks for the idea.  In my opinion, though, it is better to achieve it using some dedicated mid/side compressor, followed by Elephant.  I do plan to include mid/side processing into existing Voxengo compressor plug-ins.

Yes, the construction you discribe is what I really have in the end.

Mid signal flow: Compressor > Elephant > Final_Output.

Side signal flow : Lopass Filter > Compressor > Elephant > Final_Output.

Final_Output flow: Compressor > Elephant.

The Lopass Filter in the Side signal flow luckily contains no delay.

Also, I wouldn't always recommend to use a Compressor in the Mid and Side signal: The compressors inserted before the limiters (as used in the example on top) work good for individual instruments, but it can create quite a mess on entire mixes or subgroups, especially when there are stereo instruments used with mono instruments.  The user has to handle this combination with the compressor for Mid and Side with care.

Aleksey, one plugin containing all this features would be nice ;)

I'm still not understanding a bit why you need the limiter on mid/side channels independently.  I think the main 'Final_Output' limiting should be enough.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.