Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Crunchessor why do valve settings create extreme low freqs?!

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

hi,

i jus tried the demo and i LOVE this compressor, except for one thing. on all modes except 'clean', extreme low freqs are created.

I am using crunchessor on a drum group and normally the lows shelve around 60hz, with crunchessor on they are flat all the way to 0hz!

this is anoying because i wouldnt be able to use the valve modes (which i love the sound of) if they do this. i make heavy dancefloor music, and there needs to be a clear bottom end and room for a prominent subbass.

thanks

wm.

I guess, it's simply impossible to have 'clean' lows while still have 'valve' coloration.  The only suggestion would be using Valv S/1 mode - it offers minimal coloration.  If this still does not work then probably Crunchessor is not well suited for music material you are working with.

Also you are probably misinterpreting something here: Valve modes add distortion to the sound - this is not exactly adding excessive low frequencies.

thanks for the promt response as always, but dont know what you mean by that last post?

also i love the colouration of the low end, and the dirty valve sound across all freqs. but what i am seeing is that when i have a beat that when looking through a spec analyser shelves off around 60hz, with crunchessor on it adds freqs all the way down to 0hz, this is the same even in mild valve modes. oddly though it differs from beat to beat , even though they appear to represent the same freqs, but some dont seem to suffer much.

is it possible to have a valve mode that creates no colouration below the lowest prominent freq of the source material, and only 'upwards' distortion? ie. adding hamonics only above the lowest freq.

thanks,

wm

I do not think implementing what you are asking here is technically possible.  You may try running two Crunchessors in parallel: the first one should run in the Clean mode, the other in the Valve mode followed by a high-pass filter.  Then mix both processed tracks in the desired proportion.

BTW, Crunchessor may not perform very well on full mixes - it is mainly a track compressor.  If you are processing a whole mix you may try to enable the Filter (MidFreq mode).

i'm not trying crunchessor on full mixes, jus a drum group, i understand its meant as a track comp.

thanks for your help.

wm.

You are welcome!
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.