Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Crunchessor Larger Attack range ??

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

I'm using Crunchessor to front-end Voxformer for a kind of homemade super smoother gain-riding Vocal processor.  In fact it's so smooth I might nickname this combination 'The Ghost' ...hehe.

Anyway - I was wondering if you would consider allowing the attack range to go to 400ms or so - would that mess up any algorithms or anything?

Also, if possible could you consider a max 8000ms release ?

Thanks, Kyle

I'll consider increasing the range, but currently I think this is not really useful for an intrack compressor.

OK - thanks Aleksey!

As far as attack time goes possibly 200-300ms max would be a lower limit if there is a need to make it lower.  That way when I dial-in Crunchessor on a vocal I can start at the fastest attack (.5ms) and slow the attack till the transients I want to hear appear - this could be well out past 100ms I think.  Some standard compressors used for vocals have attack times that you can slow down to 800ms but I doubt if the vocals need much past 200ms.  On the other hand some of the standard vocal compressors call slow 70ms.  I guess the extra then is for me to experiment! :)

The extra release time I think would be useful, right now Crunchessor is 3000ms.  I was playing with a compressor the other day that has 10000ms max release.  Some of the ones we hear on commercial recordings have 8000ms.  All I want to do with the extra release time is to be able to slow Crunchessor release down so there is no dynamic change or pumping even on the most raggedy vocal imaginable.

I just mention some of the limits on some other commercial compressors to show some precedent for the settings.  The other thing is I'm not sure what standard they use to rate the attack and release times kind of like what is mentioned in this Rane note:

http://rane.com/pdf/note141.pdf

Thanks for considering this! 'THe Ghost Rider' thanks you too...:)

Curious - Has there been any consideration for providing an even faster attack?

I was reading something on the 1176LN that stated, "The attack times range from 800

Compressor Attack and Release values are usually hard to compare between the compressors as there are no standards on what is duration of attack - sometimes the same attack of two compressors can differ greatly in action.

Very fast attack (in the order of microseconds) is theoretically the same as hard limiting (clipping).

Very fast attack (in the order of microseconds) is theoretically the same as hard limiting (clipping).
Hi Aleksey,

This is not exactly true, is it?  It would be true I think if the release is also very fast -- but if the release is slow, it just means intense response on transients - to a new relatively steady gain.  Or can I see this differently from you?

I too am interested in extending the attack and release time ranges - have felt Crunchessor is quite good as a vocal channel gain rider with long release settings, and am interested to play more with short attacks.

Cheers to you, and someday we will have to extend on a conversation ;).

Clive

Indeed, release should be fast as well, for hard limiting effect.  With only attack being fast it will be hard limiting of the transients - but it's still hardlimiting and intense coloration.

Please check out the latest beta version 1.5.5 - it features extended attack and release.

Thanks, Aleksey - am just downloading 1.6, and i had tried 1.55 over weekend - extended decay very welcome.

Cheers from Basel,

Clive

OK!
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.