Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Crunchessor Additional Style type

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

OK, that all makes sense.

I would definitely be very interested in such a compressor plugin !

Thanks again, for Your efforts !

Jan, I'm curious, what microphone do you use to record vocals and what style?  If you are recording classical vocals I really recommend recording them from a distance of an arms length.  If the rooms accoustics are bad then you need to be closer but try to reach a compromise.  Also, have you tried automating an eq in SX during the loud parts?  Maybe try Gliss EQ on full dynamic setting (7-9 in strength)?  Somehow a compressor seems like a poor choise to tame frequencies, especially crunchessor which is not exactly transparent IMHO.

This might sound like a crazy idea but why not try Soniformer on that vocal and tune the threshold and ratio so that it only reacts to the loud parts and the offending frequency. :)

Cheers!

bManic

Hi bmaniac

thanx for the tips.

Lately I used a TLM 103, but just switched to a TLM 127.

It has a flater high end and handles higher levels.

Making a living as soundengineer for more than 20 years,

I know about micro distances, etc.

Problems arise, when a singer uses different styles, in the same song

and has never learned to change the distance accordingly.

( It's not a good idea, to make him/her concentrate on the mic distance,

when You want a good take, in an acceptable time ;-)

I already used different workarounds ( easiest : two different tracks for loud and soft parts )

I misunderstood the concept of Crunchessor and thought

it could offer an easy and fast way, to soften high level parts.

I just found that the TC Filtrator comes close to what I need, in negative envelope mode.

Sadly it doesn't offer a 6db high cut or high shelf filter ....

Also I have to use an additional plugin for compression.

bye, Jan

Jan,

I read this through, and think it's clear a single band compressor can't help you with what you want.  I've been a singer including classical, plus a bit of experience in broadcasting over many years, direct multimedia projects now.

Several solutions seem more likely to help, and are forms of multiband compressors, if one understands the desire...

- GlissEQ from Voxengo.  This is kind of a marvelous tool, which changes the EQ strength according to the attempted loudness in each filter band.  I use it to get some perceived brightness back into material that's been compressed, which it does by increasing gentle boosts for the lower level part of the signal.

I think Aleksey could explain much better than I could how to get it to eq out more highs as loudness there raises.  It's got such a nice sound, that it might be quite a good tool for this.

- 3-band type compressor.  These seem very commonly used for example to ' pinch down' high frequencies while not affecting other bands, and their filters are tunable.  Don't think Voxengo has one, and it would be worth looking for a great one, for your purpose.  I use db-audioware, which might be ok, but I would prefer one with a choice of detector and multiple thresholds.  Izotope Ozone is expensive with a lot of other parts, but has a lot of control.

- but then also from Voxengo is this Soniformer.  I don't claim to fully understand what it can do, but to me it sounds like a very multiband version of the 3-band compressor, at least for your purpose.  You might find it a nice flavour to go after compressing your problem bands - and no others.  From seeing how relatively small mic EQ differences can quite affect voice, the subtlety here might be appreciated.  The ' compressing for spectral balance' has something of the right idea in it, seems.  Aleksey could probably tell you how to set it up to try for your need.

Just ideas then, and maybe one of them will take out what you don't want, while leaving the subtleties.  I just got a Rode NT-2000 (tried a tlm-103 too) , and am very impressed how important around microphones those subtleties are.  The Rode seems a beautiful tool - and just possibly one that could also help with your problem singer, as besides that it has a really nice native response, you can very much tune what the proximity zone is going to be like using the pattern control - rolloff filter one can be useful in this too at low end.

Regards, and good luck!

-

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First