Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     BMS BMS v2.0 - comments & suggestions

Hello, Aleksey,

I was searching for a 64bit Bass Management solution for quite a long time, therefore, I simply had to try your BMS v2.0 when it came out.  And since it does exactly what I need, I bought it almost immediately.  So, I thank you for this extremely useful plugin!

Nevertheless, I have two comments or suggestions:

1.  BMS v2.0 offers the following routing modes: 1in-1out, 1in-2outs, 1in-6outs, 2ins-2outs, 4ins-4outs, 6ins-6outs, 8ins-8outs.  At least, all these routing modes are selectable in Plogue Bidule. (As opposed to Cubase which - due to its rigid routing system - does not reveal the asymetric modes: 1in-2outs and 1in-6outs.) Unfortunately, the 1in-2outs mode doesn't seem to work since the second output does not produce any signal, although it's designated as the LFE channel.  And that's a pity because I suppose that the 1in-2outs mode could be useful in the situations when you want to separate the low frequency content from a mono source (or, when you want to keep the LF contents of a multi-channel source separated).  On the other hand, I can't see any use for the 1in-6outs mode, so I suggest that this mode should be disabled in order not to confuse users.

2.  In the plugin GUI, the button representing a channel designated as LFE is greyed out, however, its caption doesn't change.  I think that this behaviour is misleading because the original mode (Move, Mix, Mute, Bypass, Mon) has no sense for a LFE channel.  I suggest that the caption of a LFE channel should be changed to "LFE", in addition to greying it out.  This would make much more sense to me...

Thank you once again and best regards from Czechia! :-)

--

Miloslav

Thanks for your suggestions.  BMS expects number of inputs to be equal to the number of outputs.  This was done that way, because in practice there can be a lot of non-symmetrical IOs: 2 to 2.1, 5 to 5.1.  So, it was technically more universal to build BMS assuming symmetrical IOs.  Any non-symmetry should be first resolved by means of host routing.

Okay, I understand, but the variety of possible routing configurations is given by the plugin, whereas the host just selects the one which is most appropriate in a given context.  Therefore, maybe those unintended I/O configurations (1/1, 1/2, and 1/6) should be discarded so that BMS would not offer them to the host.  Of course, it's not a huge problem, but still... ;-)

Best regards

--

Miloslav

Well, the VST specification does not really have the option to provide a list of supported IO configurations.  The plug-in can define the maximum number of input and output channels it supports.  Usually the IO is assumed to be symmetrical.

Hello, Aleksey,

I must respectfully disagree... ;-) I'm quite sure that it's possible even in VST 2.4 to write a plugin which can specify its acceptable I/O configurations.  If you are interested in this, you can have a look at the AudioEffectX::setSpeakerArrangement method in the VST SDK documentation.  However, I understand that this topic might be out of your interests and priorities :-)

Best regards!

--

Miloslav

Yes, of course, we do use the setSpeakerArrangement() function - but it does not perform enumeration.  It's a "just in time" kind of function that allows plug-in to accept or reject a certain configuration.

But that's basically what I meant: it seems that some hosts (e.g.  Bidule) apparently enumerate all possible configurations against a plugin and then provide the user with a list of those configurations that have been accepted by the given plugin.  Therefore, by means of this function you should be able not only to specify the maximum number of I/O channels but also the particular I/O configurations.  And my point is that in Bidule the configurations 1/1, 1/2, and 1/6 are accepted by BMS - although they probably shouldn't be.

Best regards

--

Miloslav

Hello, Aleksey,

thanks for the update!  Just for your info regarding the I/O configurations: 1/6 really doesn't appear in the new (2.1) version anymore - which is good.  On the other hand, 1/2 is still there but it isn't usable since the second output is not functional in this configuration.

Best regards!

--

Miloslav

Simply ignore the 1/2 config.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.