Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ Over Emphasized Spectrum Capture

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Which signal are you passing to CurveEQ when you press M ?  If you are passing silence (or white noise), you get the correct slope - which is -3 dB/oct for pink noise.  I do not see a problem.

Yes, Pink noise is at -3dB/oct slope in electrical terms.

Musically and to the ear, it's flat.

SPAN displays it as flat.  The spectrum analyzer in W7 displays it as flat.

Curve EQ displays it as flat during capture as well as in playback.

How do I get Curve EQ to capture it as flat so that all the captured curves are not bass heavy and treble light?

I think you are not quite understanding how spectrum capture works.  It compares two spectrums and builds difference.  If you compare spectrum of a musical piece to white noise or even pink noise, it will be "bass-heavy", because in most musical pieces lower frequencies prevail.

Spectrum matching is designed to match two musical pieces, it's not a good application to use it to match against pink or white noise.

One of the best uses I have found for Curve EQ has been straightening out amateur mixes by using the invert function.

(I used to use Steinberg's FreeFilter for this function but it never rendered properly in Wavelab and Cubase no longer supports DX plugins.)

If somebody gave me a mix that was too hot or too soft in one or multiple areas, I could capture the spectrum of their mix and then invert the captured spectrum to even things out.

As you can see, if I invert the capture of "flat" pink noise, I do not get a flat EQ.

If I use White noise, which is the same "voltage" from octave to octave, but, that the ear hears as trebly and lacking in bass, Curve EQ gives me a flat capture.

I do not see a problem anyway.  As I've initially replied, average spectrum does not always reflect dynamics of the tracks well.

Do you have, or, can you recommend, a +3dB/oct slope equalizer that I can use before Curve EQ to fix the issue?

Lee Fox: Do you have, or, can you recommend, a +3dB/oct slope equalizer that I can use before Curve EQ to fix the issue?

I think you may use another CurveEQ instance for that task.

*nods*

It'd be quite lovely if that +3dB/oct slope could be switched in for use during offline capture as well as real time use.

*smiles*

Thanks for the feature request, but I do not see much benefit in such "spectrum straighening" technique - this seems to be a very "custom" approach, not sure many users will like it.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.