Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Discussions     Announces, Releases and Discussions Voxengo Elephant 4.1 mastering limiter plugin released

Voxengo Elephant version 4.1 is now available for download.  Voxengo Elephant is a mastering limiter plugin for professional audio and sound production applications, available in AudioUnit, VST and VST3 plug-in formats (including native 64-bit support), for Mac OS X (v10.5 and later), and Windows computers.

This version includes the following changes:

• Extended the input gain range to +24 dB.
  • Extended the output gain range to -15 dB.
  • Made the "Eval" switch to not affect the output statistics.
  • Extended the "Release Shape" range to 2, offers an extreme punch and "hardness", via an idealized S-curve release shape.
  • Added "EL-4 BRITE" factory limiter mode.
  • Made the output signal level to never exceed 1 dB over the Out Gain setting.
  • Improved the "EL-4" algorithm reducing transient distortion and "boxiness": the sound is more biting less woofing now.
  • Improved oversampling filters reducing chances of overshoots.

Voxengo Elephant 4.1 Screenshot

Elephant is a highly competitive plug-in for mastering applications: it features a variety of limiter modes that can be deeply customized, and a comprehensive set of level metering tools, including headroom estimation and K-metering.  Elephant's built-in linear-phase oversampling is an important element in achieving high-quality peak limiting and loudness maximization without inter-sample overshoots.

Elephant limiter can be used for mixing and mastering of both stereo and multi-channel music and sound material, at any standard sample rate.  Limiting process can be visualized both as gain reduction meter and real-time graph.

Elephant features:

• Transparent signal limiting action
  • 10 predefined limiter modes
  • Limiter mode editor
  • Optional release stage
  • Noise-shaped bit-depth converter
  • DC offset removal filter
  • Waveform graph view
  • Stereo and multi-channel processing
  • Internal channel routing
  • Channel grouping
  • Up to 8x linear-phase oversampling
  • 64-bit floating point processing
  • Preset manager
  • Undo/redo history
  • A/B comparisons
  • Contextual hint messages
  • All sample rates support
  • 22-millisecond processing latency

Demo version of Voxengo Elephant can be downloaded at the Voxengo web site: http://www.voxengo.com/product/elephant/

When dealing with an ongoing DAW project which had Elephant 4.0 installed, the Gain settings (In and Out) were changed after upgrading to 4.1.  For example, where the In Gain had been 1.0 dB, it's now 1.5 dB; 7.2 is now 8.48; 11 is now 12.75.  Where Out Gain had been -1 dB, it is now -1.18 dB; -1.5 has become -1.81; -11 is now -13.74.  My guess is that the knob's degree of rotation is maintained, but the new scaling means that that position now indicates a different value than it did formerly.

Presets, on the other hand, are recalled and applied with the proper, stored values.

As far as I can tell, this change in saved values only occurs with the In and Out Gains - Release timing (if used), Dither, the Lo Cut filter and all the settings in the "Edit" window retain their saved values.

My suggestion for anyone in the middle of a project where Elephant 4.0 has been in use, is to either postpone updating until the project is finished, or to write down (or save as a preset) the Gain settings prior to updating, and then after 4.1 is installed, adjusting the Gains to re-establish their former values.

To "Future Proof" existing projects, it might be a good idea to make a note of which version of Elephant was used, and to hold on to the installers for versions 3.11, 4.0 and 4.1 so that the appropriate version can be re-installed prior to working on an old project.  According to my records, Elephant 3.11 was released Jan.  28, 2014; version 4.0, February 22, 2014, and of course 4.1, May 27, 2014.

Frank Lockwood

Lockwood ARS - http://LockwoodARS.com

Quality music recording services for classical and acoustic music.

Toronto, ON, Canada

Host DAW: Merging Technologies' Pyramix 11.0.4 (64 bit) AND 9.1.10 (32 bit)

System: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit on Mac Mini (6.2) via Bootcamp 5.1.5621

Windows 7 SP1 32 bit on MacBook Pro (3.1) computer via Bootcamp 4.0.4033.

Curve EQ, Deft Compressor, Elephant, GlissEQ, HarmoniEQ, LF Max Punch, Polysquasher2, Polysquasher3, Soniformer, TransGainer, Voxformer; also Deconvolver.

Sorry for this issue.  It does not happen everywhere.  Seems to happen in Pyramix only.  Such error may appear if the host uses automation to retain parameter values.

Thanks for the update and for the information that Pyramix saves plugin settings as automation data, even when automation is turned off.  I guess my best option is to follow my own advice to save my settings as a preset to be imported to a later version of the plugin.

I wonder if it would be a good idea, whenever you issue an upgrade that changes the scale behaviour of various settings, to assign the upgrade a different (internal VST) name.  That would allow for multiple concurrent installations of the various versions of the plugin (i.e., Elephant 3.11, Elephant 4.0, Elephant 4.1, etc.), allowing easy access to the appropriate version/settings when dealing with older projects.  Is this internal name modification something that a user could perform?  It's a little cumbersome having to install a different version each time I need to resume work on an older project.

Thanks for providing a link to download version 3.11 from my user page.  It's nice to have that backup.  Would it be too much trouble to add a link for the version 4.0 installer as well?

Frank Lockwood

Lockwood ARS - http://LockwoodARS.com

Quality music recording services for classical and acoustic music.

Toronto, ON, Canada

Host DAW: Merging Technologies' Pyramix 11.0.4 (64 bit) AND 9.1.10 (32 bit)

System: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit on Mac Mini (6.2) via Bootcamp 5.1.5621

Windows 7 SP1 32 bit on MacBook Pro (3.1) computer via Bootcamp 4.0.4033.

Curve EQ, Deft Compressor, Elephant, GlissEQ, HarmoniEQ, LF Max Punch, Polysquasher2, Polysquasher3, Soniformer, TransGainer, Voxformer; also Deconvolver.

You may change DLL's name as you wish, however not all hosts look at DLL name, but rather compare VST ID which cannot be changed for backwards compatibility.

So, it's not an easy issue to solve.

We do not provide older software versions to reduce maintenance overhead.  Please make backups on your own when necessary.

Hello, I am trying to demo the Elephant 4.1 limiter but every time I use it in a session all the audio is muted and when I remove the plug-in the audio is back to being audible.  Now our studio PC is running Windows XP and Magix Sequoia 10 or 11.

This also happens with the new free version of Span on the same PC.  But to note that both demos work on my home rig which as Windows 8 and Sequoia 12.

Please let me know what i can doas I would really like to purchase the limiter for the studio.

Elephant 4.1 and SPAN Plus demos mute the sound, this is normal.  If you like Elephant, please purchase its license.

I mean to say that I get no audio at all to demo...not even for 1 sec.  The demos do not work at all on our studio PC.

> Aleksey Vaneev: Elephant 4.1 and SPAN Plus demos mute the sound, this is normal.  If you like Elephant, please purchase its license.

Unfortunately, this may be issue with older version of Sequoia, and the way it supports multi-channel VST plugins, which both Elephant and SPAN are.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.