Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Discussions     Announces, Releases and Discussions Voxengo Elephant 4.0 mastering limiter plugin released

Last

Next

Previous

First

What kind of output gain do you need? -12 dB output gain limit does not seem to be an issue for many users as you can always set the master output gain in a sequencer.

DLL renaming may work in some hosts, but some hosts won't accept such practice.

Aleksey Vaneev: What kind of output gain do you need? -12 dB output gain limit does not seem to be an issue for many users as you can always set the master output gain in a sequencer.

There's always one crackpot in every crowd, isn't there.  True, there are lots of ways to manage gain within a DAW, but in the instances I gave earlier, sometimes it's just more convenient to do it all at once in Elephant.  Some hosts - Izotope RX comes to mind - do not offer the same degree of convenient gain control found in a DAW, so here is an instance where a wider range of gain available within the plug-in is useful.

While I appreciate the finer control available now with mouse adjustment, I can always type in a precise value directly, but I can see conditions where doing it "by ear" and dragging the mouse is the better way.  Again, let me suggest a modifier key linked "fine level control" feature for mouse dragging, for these situations.

If the Output Gain extended down to -20 dB (instead of -12), it would be backwards compatible with my existing projects.

Aleksey Vaneev: DLL renaming may work in some hosts, but some hosts won't accept such practice.

..., as is the case with my DAW.  From the manual, I see that issuing the new version with a different name is how you allowed an easy transition from version 2 to 3.  However, I understand your desire not to have to support different versions in perpetuity.

I realize that criticizing your new baby the day it's released is not particularly gracious of me - the new timing control features and visualizations are fabulous improvements to an already solid piece of code.  With the new line-up of controls, a lot of what, to me, were "mystery settings" are much easier to understand and implement intelligently.  The Eval control is brilliant - especially for determining the often subtle differences obtained with various Trans.  Time and Shape settings, and your recommendation for its use in the manual (fourth question in the Q and A) is very helpful.

In short, this is a very welcome upgrade to my "go-to" limiter.  I guess I was just taken aback when I opened a current project and found that everything sounded completely different due to the Gain levels having changed.

Frank Lockwood

Lockwood ARS - http://LockwoodARS.com

Quality music recording services for classical and acoustic music.

Toronto, ON, Canada

Host DAW: Merging Technologies' Pyramix 11.0.4 (64 bit) AND 9.1.10 (32 bit)

System: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit on Mac Mini (6.2) via Bootcamp 5.1.5621

Windows 7 SP1 32 bit on MacBook Pro (3.1) computer via Bootcamp 4.0.4033.

Curve EQ, Deft Compressor, Elephant, GlissEQ, HarmoniEQ, LF Max Punch, Polysquasher2, Polysquasher3, Soniformer, TransGainer, Voxformer; also Deconvolver.

Mhm...running on WinXP SP3 here with Cubase and Wavelab as hosts, no problems.

If renaming doens´t work, can you install into a different folder, not the typical VST\Voxengo\Elephant .... ?

It even works in Winamp under a donationware VST DSP bridge plug in.

Thanks for the critique.  I'll probably extend the out gain by 3 dB, sorry can't go further.

Thanks very much. -15 dB will be good.

Frank Lockwood

Lockwood ARS - http://LockwoodARS.com

Quality music recording services for classical and acoustic music.

Toronto, ON, Canada

Host DAW: Merging Technologies' Pyramix 11.0.4 (64 bit) AND 9.1.10 (32 bit)

System: Windows 7 SP1 64 bit on Mac Mini (6.2) via Bootcamp 5.1.5621

Windows 7 SP1 32 bit on MacBook Pro (3.1) computer via Bootcamp 4.0.4033.

Curve EQ, Deft Compressor, Elephant, GlissEQ, HarmoniEQ, LF Max Punch, Polysquasher2, Polysquasher3, Soniformer, TransGainer, Voxformer; also Deconvolver.

Aleksey, where' the EL-1 algorithm in Elephant 4?  I can't see it but the manual mentions it ...

There is no predefined mode that uses this algorithm, I've removed because it's overly harsh.  But you can select it in the Mode Editor.

Ok, didn't see it ..
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First