Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Discussions     Announces, Releases and Discussions Voxengo Sound Delay 1.0 released

Aleksey Vaneev: As we have already discussed this, I have to repeat that nobody beside you reported such problem so far.  So, I'm pretty sure it has something to do with your hardware configuration.  I know, it sounds disappointing, but hardware sometimes is also responsible for crashes.

I know, I believe it's a combination though.  I don't have this problem with other software.

Aleksey Vaneev: I'm mostly certain that plug-in cannot cause a BSOD - latest Windows versions use good enough protection mechanisms - I do not have BSODs even in the worst software debugging scenarios.

I see, but we can't be sure.

Aleksey Vaneev: What can be real is that plug-in creates some software execution ''combination'' that reveals problems in software (mainly drivers for graphics, audio, motherboard, etc)/hardware (mainly memory, or harddisk failure).  I had a couple of similar 'strange crash' reports in the past with previous Voxengo plug-in versions: to my knowledge, they were fixed after some hardware upgrade.

If I was sure what the problem was it would be easier

Aleksey Vaneev: Since you are constantly getting some graphics weirdness before the crash, it is very probable that graphics drivers are causing this problem.  If you have some spare time you could try replacing your graphics card with another one - NVidia- or ATI-based should be good to try.

I will probably try changing the matrox graphic card at some point.  But since I have no other reason for doing this than using newer Voxengo plugins [otherwise I'm quite happy with the card for Photo Shop etc and I don't know if changing it would actually help me out], so I don't know when this might be.

Aleksey Vaneev: I do not see a reason to have disable undo/redo option in Voxengo plug-ins: simply do not use this functionality.

too bad. like i said: in reaper it would really help to avoid this display confusion.

Aleksey Vaneev: As for the CTRL modifier, I think it is not very convenient.  In Overtone GEQ you see the underlay and it makes it somehow convenient.  But anyway, even in Overtone GEQ it's not very intuitive.

not? i like it (maybe i would like it even more if it would be an "absolute" mode instead of "relative").

example: most of the time i need either stereo mode (all changes apply to both channels) or dual mono mode. so i set up my default preset/routing to "dual mono". then if i need "stereo" mode, i simply use the CTRL modifier to apply changes to both channels ...

btw: why do you store the settings of the new plugins under "all users" folder instead of the user's application settings folder?

Aleksey Vaneev: I do not see a reason to have disable undo/redo option in Voxengo plug-ins: simply do not use this functionality.

Dandruff: too bad. like i said: in reaper it would really help to avoid this display confusion.

But Reaper can't undo/redo changes in such plug-ins like CurveEQ and Pristine Space.  Its undo/redo function is useless in many such cases.

Dandruff: example: most of the time i need either stereo mode (all changes apply to both channels) or dual mono mode. so i set up my default preset/routing to ''dual mono''. then if i need ''stereo'' mode, i simply use the CTRL modifier to apply changes to both channels ...

For stereo mode you simply need to change Routing.  What you are trying to have is not convenient at all.  To duplicate group's settings you may use the "Copy To" function.

Dandruff: btw: why do you store the settings of the new plugins under ''all users'' folder instead of the user's application settings folder?

For better convenience.  When pro audio computer is shared (e.g. studio with different mix engineers working on the same setup from time to time), it's better to allow all possible users to use plug-ins, and share presets.  If data was stored in specific user's folder such flexibility would not be possible.

Dandruff: too bad. like i said: in reaper it would really help to avoid this display confusion.

Aleksey Vaneev: But Reaper can't undo/redo changes in such plug-ins like CurveEQ and Pristine Space.  Its undo/redo function is useless in many such cases.

I know. i also don't like the Undo/Redo of VST changes in Reaper at all.  But until know there's no real good solution for it.

I've also posted it at the Reaper forum: http://www.cockos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22388

More things:

1.  Keyboard input in the "Audio Delay" and "Sample delay" fields shouldn't accept/display "." and "-" (without quotes) characters.

2. "Unnamed Instance" field should allow all characters!  It doesn't accept many at the moment.

3.  Input fields where "." is allowed to enter values like "1.2" for example should treat and accept "," input as it were "." input.  You know: In Germany we use "," instead of "." ...  Reaper does this nicely for example.

Thanks for more feedback.  All points will be implemented.  Though, "1" sounds more like a pet peeve. ;)

Aleksey Vaneev: Though, ''1'' sounds more like a pet peeve. ;)

Yeah, but as you already discard other characters in these input fields too, i thought that "." and "-" should be discarded there too.  I know, just a minor thing ;)

Thanks for considering all these things!

Hey !  Aleksey ... this is a good forum !! had a lunch box chit chat that covered .. 'Drivers'.. if this helps anybody there is a download that checks for 'driver' updates ...  Driver Detective ...  I got a chipset driver update ..  Cool :) John J Krupinski

Oversampling: in a simple manner of viewing this wouldn't it also allow you to move the existing point of sound reference to "between the samples" allowing an even finer control of the delay than one might normally think possible?

I am thinking maybe not here, but rather in other places like for very very high quality chorusing, flanging, and other more involved delay type products?

I'm still thinking about that "super delay" I put in a request for. <big grin>

Yes, oversampling will allow such "between the samples" delaying, but in reality it is hardly useful as 2 decimal points for millisecond delay time specification does not allow to reach intersample space.  Beside that "standard" oversampling is not linear-phase, so it introduces some phase coloration.

Of course, for choruses and flangers oversampling is a must, because they use interpolation that sounds much better on higher sample rates.

Sorry, what kind of "super delay"?  If it's request for "packed" delay with a lot of features, I'm leaving this for the future.

Aleksey Vaneev: Sorry, what kind of ''super delay''?  If it's request for ''packed'' delay with a lot of features, I'm leaving this for the future.

That was it.  The all-in-one multi-tap, multi-channel, with eq shaping per tap and per channel, with lfo's, multiple configurable feedback, configurable every which way you could think of and do it all generally except reverb; delay unit.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.