Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Summer 2018 Discount at Voxengo
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Soniformer for Room Mode Correction

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

I wonder if any users are using Soniformer for correction of room modes on acoustical recorded instruments.  Since these occur up to around 250HZ tyically, If one analyses a room with sine wave swep and appropriate software, one could apply Soniformer to compress the standing waves above a selected threshold and even upwards expansion to expand some "nulls". (It wouldn't be perfect, but it would save some folks a lot of money on commercial room treatment packages or time in building home made versions with fiberglass or similar materials.)

It also beats using a parametric EQ to notch filter the modes, since this filtering would apply even when there is no excitation of the modes, making the attenuation of the frequencies undersirable.

Were you aware of the potential for the use of Soniformer in this way?

Great product, by the way!!

Cheers

Dave

As far as I know, room modes can be negated with EQing alone - I do not think compression is necessary.  This means using CurveEQ may be a better solution for that.

However, you won't be able to 'dereverb' these room modes meaning sound won't be perfect still.  Room itself is what you ultimately need to change.

Aleksey

My view on notch EQ-ing room modes is that the frequencies will always be cut by the amount set, irrespective of the degree to which they are excited - in other words the frequencies will be also be cut when you don't want them to be.  With a multiband compressor and with the troublesome frequencies selected, you can attenuate them to the desired amount using threshold and ratio parameters.  I realize this is not a perfect solution, particularly with regard to the modes still being engergised although they will have fallen beneath the threshold, however I still think it's a more "intelligent" solution than the crude application of EQ.  And yes, I am installing lots of dense fibreglass panels, particularly in room corners.  This was just an idea that struck me as a possible solution for folks who might not want to/be able to install broadband absorption.

Cheers

Dave

OK, I understand your vision.  However, Soniformer is not suited for such tasks - it has no spectral matching capabilities and I do not plan to extend it for such functionality.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.