Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     GlissEQ Dynamic cutting mode

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Indeed. ;)

Downloading demo right now, but honestly, guys, I'm getting sick of buying plugins.  I think, I should just wait for my copy of Reaktor5, learn it and start writting plugins for myself.

OK, I've tried DQ-1 and must say that it is completely different type of 'dynamic' eq.  I would call it '4 bands ENV follower' rather then dynamic eq.  It doesn't analyse incoming signal's spectrum, at all.  Well, you can use build-in filter, but again for all 4 bands, simultaneously.  What it's tracking is the level if the audio, only, regardless of frequencies.  I believe, it is a huge difference and because of it DQ-1 can't be considered as an alternative to GlissEQ.

Aleksey, is there any hope to get this dyn.cut mode in future, anyway?

Cheers,

Vitaly.

Vitaly, from what I read, this mode requires 2 bands?  Why not simply tune these 2 bands in GlissEQ yourself?

Aleksey,

I guess I don't understand the way the dynamic control works if this is possible.  I read Jan Kirchner's cool idea (thanks Jan!), but in theory I don't see how it would work.  To my mind, doing it that way would be like an expander.

Isn't the Dynamic control set up exclusively to accentuate or amplify transients?  And doesn't it work independently from the gain (+/-) assigned to the relative filter? (Or, perhaps not totally independent... but the Dyn control is evidently tied to boosts, and can't be leveraged for cuts... isn't that why this isn't a simple matter to implement after all?)

The Dyn control only boosts transients - not "non-transients" - right?

As I understand it, I could accomplish the same thing as the dual-band approach by simply cutting a frequency by "x" and then using the Dyn knob to compensate.  You'd wind up with lower frequencies cut to the max, but transients amplified, per the Dyn setting.

Or - I could be somewhat/mostly/totally wrong...

BTW: LOVE the new website! (It seems the Forum link is acting a little odd today, though.  You have to mouse-over the "F" in forum to get the link.)

@ WSC

I gues You are somewhat wrong... ;)

What Vitaly, me and others where trying to achieve, is that lower levels are NOT cut to the max.

High Levels, should be reduced maximal, lower levels should not be affected that much.

But, You are certainly right about the "reacting to transients".

And that it would be impossible to archieve the above behavior, with GlissEQ.

Even my workaround will not really do that, cause GlissEQ is not reacting to levels.

@ Vitaly

I also tried the Sonalksis plugs, when they where released.

And I was also not impressed.  They simply could not do, what I was looking for.

BUT, there is a discontinued DX plugin and a free VST plugin, that can do, what You need.

Both have their drawbacks, but I use the DX plug pretty often.

If You are interested, contact me at hal2000@inorbit.com.

bye, Jan

Hey Jan,

RE: "...that lower levels are NOT cut to the max.  High Levels, should be reduced maximal"

Sign me up - that is exactly what I want, too!

I may have mentioned before that I see this as a new kind of multiband compression - but the compression "band" is tunable like a peaking filter.  I'm not sure how it would work... but it seems like it would be something along those lines.

As an example - perhaps the plug would use the cut level as "threshold" on a compressor, and could furthermore automatically define ratio based on how far beyond the "threshold" a signal passes.  The max ratio, however, would be in proportion to the cut level set (e.g. -6db cut might mean max ratio of 6:1?).

But the "compressor" could only be triggered by the audio frequencies within the peaking filter, and the compressor's gain reduction would only be used to drive the filter.

I'd guess that this all would be implemented with a fixed attack time set as fast as possible - and perhaps some type of auto-release time.

Even though a lot of the inner workings would be like a compressor, I'd want the interface to look/act just like GlissEQ.  In fact, as I think we all agree, this would be the perfect addition to GlissEQ itself!  But I also recognize that the technical requirements might not allow its inclusion.

Can anyone else see it working this way?  Is there another way?

wsc, I guess what you want here is not really possible with GlissEQ.  This is easier achieved with a multiband compressor like Soniformer.

Aleksey - I've been wondering this for a while and maybe just missed it in some other post or manual.

What is the GlissEQ definition of a dynamic signal?  I know the manual states (from my memory) that GlissEQ only worries about rising signals so there's some info.  We also know that the dynamics detection is [mostly] independent on dB level.  So that leaves the timing (anything else?).

How fast or slow (in us or ms) does a rising signal have to be for GlissEQ to see it as a dynamic signal?  Once we know what speed GlissEQ uses for dynamics detection my next question would be - can I play with the speed?

Thanks,

Kyle

Dynamic signal = signal with varying loudness, independent of the absolute loudness level.

You may adjust timing constants with the Mode selection.  In reality, these timings cannot be opened for user adjustment, because in case of GlissEQ it is a question of filter stability - not all time constants are suitable.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.