Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     GlissEQ High Quality vs. Normal Quality

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

Why have a Normal Quality mode?  What algorithm compromise is being made when you switch from High to Normal Quality?  Can you say what High Quality is doing that makes it better?

There is a difference in CPU load at the least.  High quality performs oversampling and thus adds some useful coloration.  Oversampling itself allows to achieve symmetric peaking filters that do not exhibit symmetry problems near the highest (Nyquist) audio frequency (at 44100 Hz sample rate).

Normal quality is easier on CPU, but it has some problems with peaking filter symmetry near Nyquist.

does ALT mode also uses 2x oversampling? the manual (only) says it's an alternative 'high quality' mode? maybe it would be wise to make this more clear in the manual!?

It does use 2x oversampling, but in a mathematically incorrect manner (so, it is not an oversampling - it is oversampling without anti-alias filtering).  This does not mean it is 'bad' - in fact, it can be good because of phase response variation it provides.

nice, thank you! this might explain the slightly lower cpu-usage compared to the high-quality mode ,right?

again: would be nice to have these words in the manual ...

Yes, that's the reason of a lower CPU usage.

I'll update the manual - though, the updated version won't be released immediately.

no problem! thank you!

just wanna report 1 thing that I noticed when using HQ Mode.

I recently worked on a CD with a classical Guitarrist.

I used gliss to smooth out some resonaces.

I noticed that Gliss EQ is enhancing the high frequencys, when it is switched to HQ mode.  It sounded a bit like a treble exciter/ enhancer to me, which I didn't like in this case.

The normal and alt mode sounded more natural to me.

It's not an exciter, but a bit of phase-shifting.  Beside that filters change its shape a bit when in HQ mode, so what you could hear is a change of shape in the higher frequency range.

but I didn't adjust anything in the high freq, just some small dip in the midrange.

So I don't think that it was the change in the curve/shape that I could hear.

The phase shifting effect might sound pleaseant in most cases but this time I didn't like it (sorry).

Btw: Gliss is my 1st Choice EQ in most cases.  Very good and intuitive handling with GUI and analyzer - ty Aleksey!

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First