Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Better K-System metering

Last

Next

Previous

First

Aleksey,

personally I find the K-Meters in Elephant 3 to be too fast (too small window?).  Also the scale isn't really following the recommendations by Bob Katz, see

http://www.digido.com/media/articles-and-demos/13-bob-katz/21-level-practices-part-2-includes-the-k-system.html

Scale gradations:

The scale is linear-decibel from the top of scale to at least -24 dB, with marks at 1 dB increments except the top 2 decibels have additional marks at 1/2 dB intervals.  Below -24 dB, the scale is non-linear to accomodate required marks at -30, -40, -50, -60.  Optional additional marks through -70 and below .  Both the peak and averaging sections are calibrated with sine wave to ride on the same numeric scale.  Optional (recommended): A "10X" expanded scale mode, 0.1 dB per step, for calibration with test tone.

Peak section of the meter:

The peak section is always a flat response, representing the true (1 sample) peak level, regardless of which averaging meter is used.  An additional pointer above the moving peak represents the highest peak in the previous 10 seconds.  A peak hold/release button on the meter changes this pointer to an infinite high peak hold until released.  The meter has a fast rise time (aka integration time) of one digital sample, and a slow fall time, ~3 seconds to fall 26 dB.  An adjustable and resettable OVER counter is highly recommended, counting the number of contiguous samples that reach full scale.

Thank you for critique, but at the moment I'm not interested in following everything Bob Katz suggests.  Beside that I find slow fall time meters non-realistic and very misleading.  I will probably be implementing 4-level meters as found in Marquis Compressor in the future.

I don't know.  I just got used to RME's K-Meters and there the response it much slower.  Bob Katz said that RME did a good job in their K-Meter implementation ... at least they implemented the scales properly as recommended by Bob Katz ...

Well, I do not even sure I have a legal right to implement Katz metering in full.

I'm pretty sure that it's legal as so many other companies implemented it in the last time ...

Just wanted to add my voice to this wish, I do wish the K-meters in E3 followed Bob's spec more, kind of takes away from the idea of K-metering when the ballistics and scale are not the same as everyone else is using.  Otherwise they are not really K-system meters.

Yes, they are not K-meters.  They only offer K-biasing.  Unfortunately, we do not have Bob here to argue, but I'm not interested in having an exagerrated fall time, and I do not see any need in "compressed" lower level scale since it is close to be useless - you can only tell if there's silence or not.  As for the calibration scale, I agree it can be useful, but it's out of the scope of processing plug-in meters.  10 second (including infinite time) peak sample hold also has a questionable value.

Once again, I'm voting myself for 4-level meters (having 1ms, 10ms, 100ms and 1000ms integration times) with 1 second peak sample hold and will be working on implementing such metering on a wider scale.

Yeah, I don't need 100% K-System details.  Current meter in Elephant is ok, it's just a bit too fast for my taste.  I would like a ~500ms window ...

Understood.  Well, I think 4-level meters should fix this inconvenience.

That will help, thanks.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First