Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Mastering Plugs Order

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi,

I just purchased Soniformer, GlissEQ, Elephant and Polysquasher.  The recommended order would be this correct?

1.  Gliss EQ, Soniformer, Polysquasher, Elephant.

Also, how much do you recommend Polysquasher to compress before it reaches Elephant?  Once Elephant gets it, ideally it not be hitting too hard right?

Thanks!

Donny

That order looks OK.  Of course, for best sonic results Elephant should not be showing much gain reduction.

I have a general question about mastering chains.

From time to time I have captured audio from analog sources.

I have chosen for this tasks 88,2kHz or 96kHz sampling rates at 24bit (32bit floating point processing).

Then I have preparing denoising task, correction task, sample rate conversion (downsample to 44,1 or 48kHz) then limiter and finally dithering with noise shaping.

I have seen that all Voxengo plugins are made to work intentionally, or work best with 44,1kHz or 48kHz sample rates.  Higher sampling frequency rates are also acceptable of course but not always.

Looking from Voxengo plugins point of view – for example – better result of noise reduction I achieve when I pass audio through the plugin at 44,1kHz or 88,2kHz?  Better sonic performance I achieve when I try to use Voxengo sound coloration plugins at 44,1 or 88,2kHz.

Why do we need 88,2kHz or higher sampling frequencies when destination audio will be CD audio?  Is 44,1kHz 24bit in this case is good enough to perform complete post processing tasks?

I am sorry for that kind of general question but I am a little bit confused even when I have been reading posts here on this forum…

Best Regards!

Stef

You've probably got a wrong impression on 44.1kHz.  Voxengo plug-ins can be used at higher sample rates without problems.  The only limitation was in CurveEQ since its 'gear' impulses were sampled at 44.1kHz.  But other plug-ins including Analogflux Impulse and Pristine Space perform resampling, so they sound equally well at any sample rate.

Redunoise is best used at lower sample rates because this allows you to have a better frequency precision.  It's safe to use other plug-ins at both 88.2k and 96k.

The impression was not about Voxengo plugins – but about using higher sample rates in general.

After our short discussion here I have thought that I going wrong way…

First of all – Voxengo denoiser have worked better with lower sample rate resolution (44,1 or 48kHz), CourveEQ the same (even worse – because have not worked above 48kHz) then limiter which is at the and of the mastering chain and should be use for the final sample rate resolution.

Now I have performed recording and 88,2kHz/24bit, denoising, correction, SRC, limitter…

I have seen the better way is recording at final frequency 44,1kHz/24bit, denoising, correction, limitter… In this case I may also skip SRC.

Is it really a better way in this particular case? – analog audio to digital conversion – CD format is the final format.  Why do we need to use higher sample rate resolution?  I have found it not an optimal way?  I do not know – I am a little bit confused ;(

Best Regards!

Stef

Higher sample rate usually allows to achieve better sonic quality with dynamics plug-ins.  In the case of denoising and equalizing there is little sense in having a higher sample rate.  For limiting a higher sample rate is a plus, but since Elephant features internal 4x oversampling you do not need a higher sample rate either.

So, in your particular case there is little benefit in running at 88.2kHz.

Thank you very much for your explanation and advice.  It is highly appreciate.

Best Regards!

Stef

You are welcome!
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.