Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Is DC filter linear phase?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

I've been doing a shootout today between Elephant, L2, L3 (in 0% separation mode), and Oxford Limiter.  So far I'm preferring the Elephant, using EL-2 with 4x oversampling, dither but no noise shaping, and no DC filter.  The phase shift using the filter seems severe to my ears.  Is it not linear phase?  If not, is that a possible addition in the future?  I suppose it makes more sense for me to use my Algorithmix PEQ Red to filter out the lows at the front of the chain anyway.

Brian Hazard

Resonance Mastering

www.resonancemastering.com

It is not linear-phase, but in my opinion its a question of taste -whether to use it or not, and depends on the source material.  I think cut linear-phase filters are not really preferrable due to pre-ringing they create if filter is steep.

Of course, if Algorithmix PEQ Red works great for you then its a way to go.

Thanks Aleskey!  At first I was planning to use a 10 Hz Bessel on everything, but it's probably not worth the tradeoff unless there's a lot of subsonic material.

By the way, SPAN is great!  I was using Elemental Audio Inspector XL, but not anymore.  I like that SPAN goes to 5 Hz, and that you can CTRL-drag to audition the different frequency ranges.

Is it possible to use Elephant DC filter as low frequency rumble filter?

I mean processing whole audio file through the plugin untouched but only with DC high pass filter set to 20Hz for example?

If not – do you have another plugin which may have filter low frequencies with good enough sounding result?

Best Regards!

Stef

You may of course use Elephant for the filter alone.  GlissEQ can be used for that as well.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.