Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     Elephant No Soft Clip in Clip Mode ?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

Aleksey (or anyone)...

In bouncing a few projects now using Elephant in Clip Mode...I've noticed that the peaks are perfectly flat-topped.

Doesn't Clip Mode soft clip the peak, modulating the samples around 0dB?  Shouldn't there be some variation in the waveform there?

Please inform.

Thanks,

mark4man

Clip mode in Elephant is 'hard clip'.  But Elephant also uses a bit of compression to minimize distortion.  Soft clip is planned for implementation in the future.

Aleksey...

Thanks.

(How far into the future, BTW?)

mark4man

Can't say how much time this takes.

Clip mode in Elephant is 'hard clip'.  But Elephant also uses a bit of compression to minimize distortion.

Aleksey...

I've been thinking about this.  When I import a stereo bounce which utilized Clip mode in Elephant back into a project; & perform a null test (against that project)...I can obviously hear the static (from the clipped file.)

But it's not near as bad as a striaght clipped file; & the thing is...transparency in the bounce is acheived (which, is the goal.)

So...you said you're using a "bit of compression".  Compression changes the signal, even in minute amounts.  Then...what exactly is being compressed?  Is it like hard-knee limiting, where only that signal above the zero threshold is affected?  Please explain.

Thanks again,

mark4man

Clipping is an immediate signal changing.  When compression is used together with clipping, this allows limiter to use immediate signal changing in less amounts since compression also handles peaks, but in a 'slower' way.  In average, this results in less distortion.

Aleksey...

Has Elephant been updated recently?  Very much looking forward to soft clip mode.

mark4man

(BTW - The version I have is 2.5)

Unfortunately, I was not planning to update this version branch of Elephant.  I'm planning to add adjustable saturation to the future major version of Elephant.

Well...

Then get busy there, buddy !!!  Do you realize this could be a breakthrough for mastering engineers?  Right now...the 2 choices for getting a client's music louder are compression/limiting & converter to converter clipping.  The first method leaves a legal signal but colors (& energizes) the sound.  The second method takes the basic mix & just makes it louder, but leaves spurious clipping artifacts.

If you could figure out a way to reduce or filter those artifacts w/ your variable saturation...so as to make method 2 transparent ???...that would be monumental !*!*! (& you might get filthy rich, to boot!)

mark4man

I will be trying one 'new' approach later.  Probably I'll add it to the next Elephant version, eventually.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First