Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Summer 2018 Discount at Voxengo
Forums     Plugins     Elephant New mode suggestion

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi,

I've been analysing a lot of the files that a professional mastering facility mastered.  I've compared the before and after and am getting a quite good understand of things I think.  One of the most obvious features of a powerful (but squashed) pop-mastering is that when I check the mastered tracks in SPAN the spectrum is totally flat.  I mean literally FLAT (when put in 4.5dB mode).  Every single peak, especially the bass, is very thoroughly shaved off which makes the pop-song sound powerfull and impact even on very small bad speakers.  I've come to the conclusion that the final "shaving off" the peaks is done trough 'high-quality' digital clipping.  I even asked the mastering enginer why the Weiss EQ's and Compressor's red clipping indicator was flashing.  She said she clips it on purpose as it sounds good (and it DOES!).

Lately I've been experimenting with running two Elephants in series.  The first I put into Clip mode and use 4x oversampling, the second I use with the El-3 mode to do the final limiting.  The clipping elephant does kind of do the same thing as what the mastering enginer did and I was able to get equally hot masters (could even have gotten hotter!) that had a very balanced frequency response according to SPAN.

Now, this kind of brutal limiting is not adviced for anything else than mainstream pop/hip-hop/rap/pop-rock/pop-heavy-rock stuff as it really does distort a bit but this helps the music push trough in small speakers.  The idea I got is, can you Aleksey try to analyse this theory a bit and maybe come up with a mode that "shaves off" the peaks, especially in the bass, but is still more gentle than clipping.  Does this maybe require a very high quality waveshaper of some kind?  I know also that some of the peak shaving is done in the analogue domain.  She did drive the manley Vari-Mu very hard too, on purpose, for this very reason (I think).  The whole purpose would be to truly limit every single peak in the bass region (20-160hz) and thuss make it possible to make a pop-mix that sits like brick in any system.

Any ideas? :)

Cheers!

bManic

Oh, btw.  I can send you a snippet of the before and after and my experimentation, if you want.

- bManic

I can't really see what I can do other than combining Marquis Compressor followed by Waveshaper of some kind followed by Elephant run in some chosen mode.  So, I'm not that keen on this idea.

However, if you can send me some 'before' and 'after' sound clips produced on a pro mastering facility that could be useful.  WAV quality is preferred.  You may send your experiments as well.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.