Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     Elephant Re: DS Filter

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First

I decided to try the DS Filter on a song last night, and my bass range disappeared.  This happened when the setting was around 40Hz.  I didn't get it back until I set the filter to 16Hz.  If I roll-off everything during tracking after 30-40Hz do I need to be concerned with using this part of Elephant?

You mean DC filter?  There's a steeper filter type to choose besides the default Bessel - Butterworth should be steeper, I use that one when I do it.  Depending on what you program content have (SPAN will tell you) 40 Hz roll-off may be too brutal.  Part or the oomph of the kick and bass guitar are down there (for pop music).  Good Luck!

with the bessel filter, i think the hz reading indicates the freq under which everything is removed. so 40hz, means everything below that is removed but the slope of the filter will continue up to much higher freqs. i find settings of 10hz and below transparent.

i think the butterworth is less transparent and has some kind of hump just above cut-off if i remember correctly?

bart, there's no 'hump' with Butterworth filter, but of course it sounds a bit different.

ok aleksey.

sorry for the misinformation, i was working from memory. but i have just retried and i get the same thing, using the butterworth boosts sub freqs before cut off. also an fft analysis says the same thing, so whats happening?

incidently, i repurchased elephant this morning!

thanks,

ive actually just discovered the butterworth below 8hz is very transparent, and generally seems to preserve the phase better than the bessel. although when set to very low freqs it doesnt seem to remove anything, so probably not worth using at all down there? but at higher freqs i find it changes the subsonic freq balance. so it would seem unsuitable for my purposes (mainly hard electronica).

regards,

Hmm... you are right about a 'hump' ...  Seems like I've overlooked this bit from the very start (what a shame!) Thank you for turning my attention to that.

I have posted Elephant beta v2.4.3 now - it features a fixed Butterworth filter.

great thanks.

i always thought it was a little odd, but never knew what a butterworth was meant to look like to consider questioning it.

regards,

Hi Aleksey - I just tried v2.4.3 and feel like your tweak to the Butterworth filter improved the bass.  Thanks!

On another note - in Sonar5 when I close the Elephant window the stereo link changes from 100% to OFF, next time I open the Elephant I see link is OFF.  Maybe that had to do with the local K-scale change or something.

ED: Actually I'm not sure the stereo link is actually changing at different settings either.

You are right - I've accidentaly changed something.  I've now posted v2.4.4 which should have this st.linking issue fixed.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Last

Next

Previous

First