Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ Dropouts in Home Studio

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi,

I purchased Voxengo Curve EQ and started using it with Home Studio 2004.  The issue I'm having is that when I apply Curve EQ to an audio track real time I get dropouts or "Audio Stopped".  First Time it happened I went and increase my effective latency to 150ms and I could use in this case about two or three instances of Curve EQ without any issues.  Now I have a bigger project, I tried to use Voxengo just in one audio track real time and couldn't get it to work even with 150 ms latency.

I need to know what I can do to fix this, I use the spread CPU option already and tried several times to increase plugins buffers in theHome Studio aud.ini file without success, the only thing that worked was as I said increase effective latency but not with this new project.

I typically run up to about 24 plugins real time effects without any issues but only one instance of CurveEQ is enough to create a dropout.

My specs:

Home Studio Cakelwalk 2004

Soundcard: Creative SB Extigy

CPU: Intel Centrino 1.7 GHz

Ram: 1 Gig

Thanks in advance

Try adding ExtraPluginBufs parameter with value 128 or 256 or 512 - this suggestion was given on the Pristine Space forum, and is applicable to Sonar.  I guess in may work in Home Studio, too.  If it does not work I suggest you to contact Home Studio support, or post a message on its support forum.

Actually, this dropout a 'feature' of CurveEQ simply because CurveEQ calculates its internal parameters during processing the audio thus overloading CPU for a very short period of time.  Home Studio tends to think it is a dropout.

Also have in mind that Curve EQ is a pretty complex and CPU heavy EQ which is not exactly designed to be inserted in each track.  In fact, I use Curve EQ only for mastering and for surgery, when a single track needs it.

You might want to try other less-CPU-intensive EQ's for mixing.  Maybe Gliss-EQ would suit you (I haven't really used it).  My personal favorite is the WaveArts TrackPlug.  It's actually a channel strip (Gate-EQ-Compressor), but it's very transparent and very CPU-efficient.  I can easily have 32 tracks each with a TrackPlug with a much lower spec'ed computer than yours (Pentium 4, 1.4 Ghz, 256 Mb).  The TrackPlug is a bit expensive ($150) but they offer a 50% discount for students and teachers, and for $75, it's totally worth it.

For mastering, though, go definitely with your CurveEQ.

Apologies to Aleksey for advertising non-Voxengo stuff :)

I would also suggest to use other than CurveEQ equalizer for general equalization purposes.  Voxformer or GlissEQ is a better (as more practical) channel equalizer choice.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.