Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ EQ for mastering

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

I'm planning to buy CurveEQ and Elephant next month.  I already have Crunchessor but I need a good EQ and limiter for mastering purposes.

I've used the CurveEQ demo and I think it's perfect for mastering because of its additional tools like spectrum displays and spectrum matching.

Please correct me if I'm wrong: if I want to master a set of songs which are all part of an album, would it make sense to take the spectrum of a template song, save it in a file, and then use it to master all the tracks matching the template spectrum?

I'm also in doubt about what would be the chain I would use for mastering.  A simple chain would be just CurveEQ-->Elephant.  Another option would be Crunchessor-->CurveEQ-->Elephant.  Does it make sense to do a little compression before EQ'ing?  I think it does, but I'm not sure.

And one final question: would GlissEQ be more suited for mastering?  I haven't played with it much but I understand it adjusts itself automatically in order to maintain a "constant" output spectrum, is that right?

I know there are other tools for mastering (Soniformer, Polysquasher, etc.) but I just want something easy to use and I can only buy a couple of plugins right now.

Thanks for any help.

Yes, you can use CurveEQ to spectrally match all tracks to a single track.  Of course, this should be done with care - not just in 'match and forget' manner.

Probably EQ->Compressor->Limiter chain is more frequently used because EQing after compressing may bring additional uncontrollable peaks.

GlissEQ is a pretty unique EQ and surely it can be used for final mix treatments, but it can be hard to use it at times where you need precise modifcations like removing or adding some particular frequencies.  GlissEQ may simply sound too smooth and non-precise for these tasks.  Otherwise it can be a good addition to the mastering chain when you need to add some additional 'movement' and sparkle.

For general mix compression Crunchessor should probably be enough.  Soniformer gives much more control while Polysquasher provides a very smooth compression, without colorations like those Crunchessor adds.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.