Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ Vs ME FreeFilter

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Aleksey, I'll start by saying I'm very impressed by your plugins from the demos I've tried.  Hopefully I'll be investing soon!

The function in CurveEQ for comparing two signals and deriving an eq curve to match their spectrums is more or less the same idea as Steinberg's ME FreeFilter (which I use quite a lot).  I'm wondering how many adjustments or eq bands CurveEQ can use - basically how high the resolution of the filter is, and how accurate the translation can be?  I don't have the demo installed at the moment so I can't check the program itself.

CurveEQ's resolution is pretty high (60 bands).  Probably, higher than FreeFilter.  But of course, that is not the main point - in most cases lesser number of points makes a better job.  And in this case CurveEQ is more flexible as it allows you to choose the number of points to use for matching.

Thanks for your interest!

Thanks for the reply!

How accurately can the bands be placed? (I'm just curious at this stage, I don't even know this much about FreeFilter) What I mean is - can it capture a characteristic as complex as (say) a tiny dip at 12500Hz?  So could it place points at 12499Hz, 12500Hz, and 12501Hz, or is that actually insanely difficult?

I will definitely invest in this over the insanely overpriced and far less user-conscious Steinberg product!  I use this kind of technology a lot in processing convolution impulses.  Have you ever considered including CurveEQ in a version of your Convolution Suite package?  Just a thought...  I'll probably buy the entire range anyway, as soon as I have the cash. :-)

Spectrum matching in CurveEQ works on the uniformly-spaced points.  But you can also do manual editing.  Accuracy you are talking about is not easily attainable.  However, in practice such accuracy is hardly necessary.

Thanks for your interest!

Ah, makes sense.  Hardly necessary, but I'd still like to see it some day!  What way is the uniform spacing divided along the spectrum?  I presume its logarithmic like a graphic eq... but with 60 bands it must be every 1/6 octave or thereabouts?

Aleksey, I'm really amazed at how you've managed to program so many incredibly different and complex plugins!  Have you any plans to make them directly DirectX compatible or will you be sticking with VST?

Yes, that's like 1/6 octave filter.

VST is the only standard I'm developing for now.  Since we have Cakewalk VST Adapter (which has got a decent support for VST plug-ins) I do not think separate DX versions are necessary.  Especially taking into account the fact that VST is being supported by most hosts and Cakewalk ships its VST adapter with Sonar and Project5 without additional fee.

Thank you for your kind words!

I'm sorry to bother you but could you send me some basic instructions on how to use the freefilter please,

I'm new to cubase since taking it up as a retirement project and I cant't seem to get the freefilter to work.

eternally grateful

Davidtommo

David, I suggest you to ask the same question on Cubase user forums.  Our forums are Voxengo-related mostly - and so you may need to wait for too much time to get an answer for such question.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.