Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Forums     Plugins     CurveEQ rare (but dangerous) EXTREMELY loud distortion

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hello

I was working on a project (in Orion platinum) and had CurveEQ inserted in the master bus along with the voxengo marquis compressor (trial version)

it sounds fantastic btw..

anyways I'm going along, tweaking the EQ on a track in orion and all of a sudden the music stops and i get a very VERY loud burst of distortion or static.. non stop.. hitting the stop button in orion didnt kill the static burst which is still nonstop..  OUCH.  I was wearing headphones at the time and had the level pretty loud.. pain. now my ears are ringing ouf..

anyways..  I tracked it to be the curveEQ plugin..  I did this by simply disabling plugins until the sound went away.. first I tried the marquis compressor.. nope.. static still bursting through my brain.. then I tried curveEQ.. magic.. loud static gone. so I nervously insert and start the song again.. sound is normal again.

but im leery about using curveEQ now.. once bitten and stuff.. though i know i shouldnt be. this is the first time this plugin has exhibited this behaviour.

just wanted to make a record of this.. incase it happens (or has happened) to other people.. you can have a listing of people if this becomes a more common occurance.. (like a record to track down the bug)

thanks...

with ringing ears,

VitD

This was never happened before with CurveEQ.  It may be a bug which manifests itself when you are using Marquis Compressor.  I will be watching for this issue.

Could you test this situation once more (by the way, can you replicate it at any time?), but with Marquis Compressor using Clean mode?  Of course, do not put on the headphones and turn down speaker volume.

I'm sorry this happened.

One more enquiry - please send me Marquis Compressor preset you were using (I only hope you have it in the unchanged state from the time this glitch happened).

Aleksey Vaneev: One more enquiry - please send me Marquis Compressor preset you were using (I only hope you have it in the unchanged state from the time this glitch happened).

oh dont apologize..  I'm starting to think now its just one of those one-in-a-million occurences..

unfortunately, though, I have altered both patches a few times already (both the compressor and the EQ) - sorry :c(

in any event, I have yet to have that nasty occurance again and hope I never do. the ears stopped ringing and the plugin is working fine again.. hehe so no worries.

I tell you what.. if it happens again I'll just save it as is and send you my files.  That said, I was using the "Tarnce FM' in the compressor and the 'more vitality' preset in curveEQ - both were slightly tweaked though.

I had the compressor BEFORE the eq so in master bus slot 1 was the compressor and in master bus slot 2 was the eq

I was also using rebirth rewired in the song if that makes any difference..

thank you for the responses and I'll keep you informed if I can recreate this 'bug'

-VitD

After some investigation of Marquis I have concluded that this could be caused by Marquis - however, such behaviour could happen if the input signal before Marquis was loud.  Can you confirm that?  In any case, I will be fixing this.  Stay tuned for the next version of Marquis.

actually it just occured again!!!!

this time it wasnt as bad..  I didnt have all channels playing, just the percussion.. the music disappeared, sound went to some noise artifacts clicking and such.. the level meters on the masterout in orion are fully pegged even though I'm not always hearing sound after this bug. weird.

I saved the song file immediately after this occured THEN checked the vox plugins on the masterbus.. same situation - marquis disabling does nothing to resolve the situation BUT curveEQ disabling releases the sound and the level meters move back to zero (no sound since the song is stopped).

I'm unsure what you mean by loud?  I mean yeah I suppose it was loud..  I'm trying to get the song as loud as possible w/o hearing clipping hehe.. so maybe this is the case..

I dont have the retail version of marquis but I'll be willing to check the newer trial version when its released.. though I find it odd that disabling curveEQ releases the sound. (actually both disabling curveEQ or changing the patch in curveEQ AFTER the bug occurs releases the sound)

anyways if you want the orion file you're welcome to it.. just note that i'm using a lot of different synths and effects plugin so I think you'll need all of them to reconstruct the song..

OK, all I need is CurveEQ and Marquis presets together.  Please save them and send to info@voxengo.com

Have you tried CurveEQ *without* Marquis?  I think this bug should not occur in this case.  Can you possibly try not using Marquis for some time?

Why I'm mostly sure it is caused by Marquis is because there was definitely a bug which could cause disastrous sound 'effects' - but only if input before Marquis is very loud.  If it stays below 0 dBFS most of the time there should be no problems with it.

Or just try using the latest Marquis beta 1.0.3 which should fix that bug.

I should also point out that on both occasions I was tweaking the EQ in orion (on an orion channel strip) and NOT working with either voxengo plugin... so maybe this is an interaction b/t orion's eq and the curveEQ? disabling curveEQ resolves the problem (after its hung)..

but yeah I can send those out to you no probs and I'll disable marquis and see if it happens again..

OK, thank you for this information.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.