Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins at a Fixed One-Time Fee - Click Here For More Info
Summer 2018 Discount at Voxengo
Forums     Discussions     Announces, Releases and Discussions GlissEQ beta 2.0

Kyle, your test does not seem like a correct 'transient' test.  You should do it differently I suppose.  I suggest you to use a 1kHz sine waveform instead of a pink noise sample.  This way you can see the transient emphasis response obviously.

OK - good idea although a tone isn't really the same as complex music - I'm in discovery mode though so here goes:

This test used a Cool Edit Pro generated 1KHz sine wave tone (with approx 95dB/octave slope)

GlissEQ2 (High Qual, Mode2) no filters enabled:

Peak Amplitude: -5.94 dB

Maximum RMS Power: -6.01 dB

Average RMS Power: -6.1 dB

Total RMS Power: -6.06 dB

Average RMS to Peak Amplitude delta = 0.16 dB

Maximum RMS to Peak Amplitude delta = 0.07 dB

GlissEQ2 1KHz, .33 octave, +9dB gain, DYN=1

Peak Amplitude: .52 dB

Maximum RMS Power: .05 dB

Average RMS Power: -.1 dB

Total RMS Power: -.06 dB

Average RMS to Peak Amplitude delta = 0.53 dB

Maximum RMS to Peak Amplitude delta = 0.47 dB

(Note: using 32bits > 0dB is not clipped in this case)

GlissEQ2 1KHz, .33 octave, +9dB gain, DYN=9

Peak Amplitude: -4.57 dB

Maximum RMS Power: -4.99 dB

Average RMS Power: -5.1 dB

Total RMS Power: -5.06 dB

Average RMS to Peak Amplitude delta = 0.53 dB

Maximum RMS to Peak Amplitude delta = 0.42 dB

GlissEQ2 1KHz, .33 octave, -9dB gain, DYN=1

Peak Amplitude: -7.51 dB

Maximum RMS Power: -11.96 dB

Average RMS Power: -12.1 dB

Total RMS Power: -12.06 dB

Average RMS to Peak Amplitude delta = 4.59 dB

Maximum RMS to Peak Amplitude delta = 4.45 dB

GlissEQ2 1KHz, .33 octave, -9dB gain, DYN=9

Peak Amplitude: -6.58 dB

Maximum RMS Power: -7 dB

Average RMS Power: -7.1 dB

Total RMS Power: -7.06 dB

Average RMS to Peak Amplitude delta = 0.52 dB

Maximum RMS to Peak Amplitude delta = 0.42 dB

In this test then it seems to me that (just looking at the numbers) a -9dB cut with Dyn=1 gave me the largest delta increase in dynamic range (increased transients).  Is that how you read this Aleksey ?

I guess maybe I'm making this too complicated but to be able to repeat my settings I try to understand what they actually do by running noise and tones thru the machine - this one seems a bit tricky.

This may be true, but Dyn is not only about transients, it is about the behaviour.  If you look at the waveform you may see higher Dyn has more ripples.

OK - thanks Aleksey I give up I can't 'see' what it's doing unless you're phasing something in there.  All I can say is:

Dyn=1 sounds more like a normal equalizer

Dyn=9 sounds less like a normal equalizer

When I hold a peak over something it sounds different and changes the eq balance for that band somehow...

That's exactly right.

hehe - I got it now ! :)

By the way, I've added mode 3 in the v2.0c I've just uploaded.  It's a much more 'fleshy' mode I think.

So it comes down to that, eh?

As I've stated already, of course, it is more than that.  It's about the behaviour.  Also, the more the Dyn value, the harder it is for equalizer to reach the specified gain value.

Hi Aleksey,

Is it possible to convert the factory presets so they'll work with the new version 2.0c ?  The ones I have with the new version won't load.

I'm starting over trying to use the presets that you built so I might be able to figure out when and why and how to use Gliss exactly.  I'm thinking if I can figure out what you meant it for I can understand the tool better.  Other than that I'm simply twisting knobs like I used to do with my ham radio searching the airwaves for a signal - I like to have a better idea of what I'm searching for.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.