Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Warmifier Warmifier parameter clarification

Hi Aleksey,

I just purchased Warmifier and am learning it as we speak !  So far I've started with the presets (good starting place !).

I understand the 'Type' parameter and readily hear the difference between the different tube types and am getting familiar with how you have basically 'biased' them.  I'm running a full mix thru Warmifier so I picked 12AT7 not one of the higher-gain tubes.

The 'weighting' of the Flt Lo and Flt Hi seems pretty straightforward so far.  The explaination in the manual about 'dry' and 'wet' threw me off for a second but I see what you mean now.

EQ Lo and EQ Hi gain knobs are pretty straightforward - no problem there.

I'm not getting the 'Prm V' and 'Prm I' knobs.  You mention they control harmonic content, what other characteristics do they control ?  Also 'Prm V' seems to have more effect than the 'Prm I' knob in the highs at least - the manual leads me to believe 'Prm I' would effect things more.  Are the knobs pre-tube (Type) or post-tube in the signal path - I assume post-tube from your Gui layout ?

Thanks,

kylen

Prm V and Prm I actually control the gain characteristics of the tube.  I'm not sure if it is totally correct to say this, but Prm V is a voltage control, Prm I is a current control.  Both affect the characteristics of the sound you get.  I would also suggest to use Prm I values below -3.5 dB, because if above some internal clipping occurs.

I'm not very observant !  Ha Ha

I get it !

V=voltage

I=current

OK, now I have my plate (V) and grid (I) controls !  This sounds cool!  Now the controls make more sense - I'll have to try them out in that context and have more fun !  Watch out for that grid bias !  Ha Ha

Thanks Aleksey,

kylen

These controls work not exactly like you would expect them to work in a schematic.  So, you can't exactly specify grid bias or anything like that.  Prm V and I control the output gain of tube, only.  That is, if the gain is high, you get one harmonic content if the gain is low you get another harmonic content, including different transient responses.

OK - Thanks Aleksey - very interesting.

This should help direct-to-digital recorded tracks quite well I think !

kylen

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.