Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Voxformer Asymetric Compression?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Great job Aleksey!  I think I can dump half the other junk in my VST plugins folder.

Two things though...

Could you explain a bit about asymetric compression?  I've not run in to the term elsewhere.

And maybe a small bug that could be fixed with an error trap?

Running Cubase SX 2.02 build 35 on a 2.8 GHz P4, I made an errant mouse click and selected Presence for listening when Presence was turned off.  This hung the computer.  It was also reproduceable.  It's no big deal though.  I can screw up anything!

Thanks for your very excellent work and original thinking.

k

Asymmetric compression is the compression when the positive half of the signal is compressed differently than the negative half of the signal.  Valve equipment works this way, for example.  In the case of Voxformer you have an additional sound choice - you may use it if you like it.  For indepth information please read the manual.

I'll check the 'presence' bug.  Are you sure it hangs the computer?  In my tests it simply mutes the output.  Please check this out.  If it does hang (i.e. you cannot close the plug-in's window), can you confirm that it does not hang when presence module is actually in use?

Thanks Aleksey.  I suspected the asymetric compression had something to do with that.

I had to spend a bit of time to refigure the problem with the monitoring.

First of all, my memory failed me as usual.  It's not the presence monitor, but the Gate monitor that causes the hangup.  The only way out at that point is a hard reset.

To duplicate the error, insert the Voxformer on a track, Solo that track plus another one at least, and with the gate turned off, select Gate in the monitor section of Voxformer.  It doesn't appear to malfunction if only one track is soloed. (I know, what's a solo switch for anyway :) but like I said this was found by accident.

It seems that if there are a few other plugs inserted on the same track it will hang sooner, but I did find that with just one instance of Voxformer and nothing else, leaving it in gate for a while would still hang the machine, but it takes longer.

I'm heading out tomorrow morning to play a festival -back Monday.  I'll have a look back here before I go.

It just occurred to me that I also had my Roland VS-2480 connected as a Generic Remote through the Audiophile 24/96 midi inputs.  I can't test that right now since I just rented it out for a couple of days, but I doubt it would be a culprit(?).  Oh, also the project settings were 24/44.1

I hope this helps to make Voxformer as idiot proof as it is useful!

k

OK, thanks for the info.  Seems like I have found the reason of this hang up.  So, please for now do not select Gate monitoring when the Gate module is off.  I'll release the updated version ASAP.

No sweat.  I feel like a fool for finding this anyway :)

k

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.