Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Voxformer De-Esser enhancement

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

I just did some testing with Voxformer's De-Esser.

It seems, it's a third compressor, with filtered detection signal.

It would be great, to have an additional 'split' mode.

In this mode, only the frequency range, that is detected, would be compressed.

I.e.: it would need a crossover, to split the signal into lo/hi and only process the hi band.

I'm aware, that there is already the option, to use the first two compressors, with a crossover,

but I would much prefer, if the De-Esser could do that on it's own.

I very often use the 2 compressors in series !

bye, Jan

I'm not planning to extend de-esser's functionality.  It does seem like de-esser should work better using narrow band processing, but in practice broadband operation is enough if you are working with vocals only - high frequency 'sss' usually happens in a narrow band region, so this usually should not adversely affect other words in the phrase.

Or do you have another opinion?

:)

Well, yes.

Back in the early 80's, we had these Valley Poeple compressors, that could be switched to DeEsser mode,

using a filtered sidechain while doing broardband reduction.

As You said, this worked pretty well.

But there were always situations, where they sounded unnatural and you could hear them work.

( "k"s, "d"s and "t"s usually use a wider frequency spectrum and are also detected by an DeEsser )

A few years later, the Valley Poeple 440 was released, combining a compressor, limiter and a DeEsser,

that only compressed the same frequency range, that was set for detection.

And it worked and sounded much better !

That's how I learned to prefer 'split band' DeEssers.

;-)

OK, I have to say, that Voxformers DeEsser sounds really good, for a broadband design !

And an additional crossover woud need more CPU.

Nevertheless, it would be nice, to have the option ...

( Maybe in a paid update ... )

bye, Jan

OK, thank you for your thoughts.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.