Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     TransGainer Distortion when you turn down Sustain Gain

Hi,

I'm using TransGainer with Addictive Drums to check it out.  When I turn down Sustain Gain the overall gain goes up and the sound distorts.  When I turn the Sustain Gain up, the overall gain goes down.  Why?

It happens in all modes and I'm not in Auto.  Detect Delay is 125 and Contour is 225.

Cheers,

Nigel

I'm not sure what kind of distortion you are talking about.  Please send me the "before" and "after" sound clips along with the preset you are using to info@voxengo.com

Hi Aleksey,

OK I've sent you audio files of just drums, low sustain and high sustain along with the test preset bank.

Cheers,

Nigel

Well, there are no noticable problems exist in your case, the output gain is increased by design, because lower sustain values usually lower overall loudness.  In the example you've provided you also increased the Trans Gain a lot - that's why it drives the signal to clipping (it's not distortion of the plug-in itself).  You simply need to adjust the output gain to reduce clipping.

Hi Aleksey,

Thanks, I had taken the preset to the extreme and left the clipping to show the issue.  My only concern is that the gain difference was more than I expected and I was having to play with levels a lot.  With the other Transient plugs I've tried, the output level has been more consistent and it's only the sound that has changed.

I got the plug anyway as it's far more flexible than the others.

Cheers,

Nigel

I understand your confusion, but such behavior was made for convenience.  In practical situations such "gain staging" allows you to minimize use of the master Out gain control.

Thanks for the info.  Can I add a quick feature request for an auto make up (or down) option to help with quick tweaks.

Cheers,

Nigel

As I've noted, the behaviour you have found a bit strange, is exactly the makeup gain's behaviour.  To my knowledge it sounds strange only if you set extreme settings.  If I disable it, the plug-in's operation won't be as convenient.

OK I'll get used to it.  Not a problem.  I probably just need to learn how use it better.
This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.