Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Winter Holidays 2017-2018 Discount
Forums     Plugins     Transmodder Cuts and Boosts at same frequency with different releases?

Hey Alexei,

I've been learning how to use this plug by reading the manual and examining the presets.  Can you elaborate on what the theory is behind including filters to both Cut AND Boost the same frequency range with different releases?  This appears in a few different presets.

For example, in the "Extra Punch" preset (which I find sounds really nice on my mixes after tuning the bandpass frequencies in the analyzers), filters 1 and 2 both act on around 68Hz with a 1.0 oct width, one boosting about 12db with a release of around 38ms, and the other cutting about 8db at that same frequency with a longer release time (about 85ms).  Can you describe what effect this has and why you would set it up like that?

Similarly, in that same preset, filters 3 and 4 not only act on the same frequency range, but cut and boost respectively almost the identical amount, again with different release times.

Anyway, I think I'm starting to really understand this plug, but this is the thing that's still got me scratching my head a little bit.  Any explanation that could help me get my head around it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dan

NoTalentAssClown: For example, in the ''Extra Punch'' preset (which I find sounds really nice on my mixes after tuning the bandpass frequencies in the analyzers), filters 1 and 2 both act on around 68Hz with a 1.0 oct width, one boosting about 12db with a release of around 38ms, and the other cutting about 8db at that same frequency with a longer release time (about 85ms).  Can you describe what effect this has and why you would set it up like that?

It is very easy to understand that.  First of all, the longer the decay, the longer the 'action' of the filter.  So, the example above filters out a bit of "body" of the signal while leaving attack almost untouched.  This theoretically should make transients more pronounced.

Hey Aleksey,

Thanks so much, that makes sense.  One more question" If I were to, for example, disable the filter that is cutting the frequency range, the body/sustain of the filtering effect would get longer, thus de-emphasizing the transient a bit, and also, since the cut would no longer be present, the effect would become much louder.  Am I understanding that correctly?  If the boost and the cut were of the exact same gain level and decay, would they effectively cancel each other out completely?

Also, sorry about mis-spelling your name on the original post.  I work with a guy with your same name and he spells it Alexei, so I guess I'm just used to typing it that way.

Thanks again for your explanation.  It helps.

Dan

NoTalentAssClown: Thanks so much, that makes sense.  One more question'' If I were to, for example, disable the filter that is cutting the frequency range, the body/sustain of the filtering effect would get longer, thus de-emphasizing the transient a bit, and also, since the cut would no longer be present, the effect would become much louder.  Am I understanding that correctly?  If the boost and the cut were of the exact same gain level and decay, would they effectively cancel each other out completely?

Of course, when boost and cut were configured identically, this won't have any effect on the sound.  If you disable the cutting filter, only boosting will be performed, but boosting will start together with the transient: it can't be delayed.  By utilizing cut and boost together the peak can be shifted in time.

This topic was last updated 180 days ago, and thus it was archived.  Replying is disabled for this topic.