Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Parallel Compression?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

When using the Wet Mix is this the same thing as applying varying degrees of parallel compression?

I've been reading Bob Katz's "Mastering Audio" and have been experimenting with different methods of parallel compression with WaveLab and Soniformer by applying extreme compression to one clip in a montage, leaving another clip dry, then rendering the output...when it occurred to me that the Wet Mix functionality in Soniformer appears to allow the same thing.

Am I correct here?  Or do I know just enough to be dangerous?

Thanks,

db

Yes, Wet Mix controls 'parallel compression' aspect of Soniformer.

Do you allow for a time delay of the dry signal to compensate for the compressor?  I understand this is useful for limiting side effects of the summation process.

Thanks,

db

I can't fully understand your formulation here, but if you are talking about phase difference between the dry signal and the wet signal, they are in phase, and no odd comb-filtering happens when you mix dry and wet signals.

In regards to parallel compression, Bob Katz writes of a time delay (generally 5-10 samples) introduced by the compressed signal and the need to compensate for that delay in the dry signal prior to rendering.

But I think you have answered my question.  If the wet and dry signals are in phase with no comb-filtering apparent, you must be accounting for this.

I apologize for any lack of clarity/knowledge in communication.  This is all new and fascinating.  Your patience and willingness to respond are much appreciated.

Thanks,

db

You are welcome!
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.