Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Downward Expander mode?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

Is it possible to outfit Soniformer with a downward expander where:

'the gain of the expander decreases when the input signal is below the threshold.'

Thaks for considering this,

Kyle

How do you think this should work?  From what I understand this requires second threshold to be defined along with a 'downward expander' strength envelope.  I'm not sure this will fit Soniformer nicely.  On the other hand this may allow to use Soniformer as a broad-band noise removal tool.

The downward expander I'm talking about has a single threshold like the type my MB Izotope Ozone, Single band Sonitus, and Single band Cakewalk Dynamics processor use.  They all use a threshold, ratio, attack, release, makeup gain - same knobs as on Soniformer.  I'm assuming you have to do some re-wiring in the detector though...

I thought putting a downward expander in the multi-band Soniformer would give even greater flexibility than the multi-band Ozone.  I would use the Soniformer MB downward expander to control, shape or damp the decay of the bass in some cases where there is a resonance or ringing.  Using downward expansion on the treble side would eat ambience which may be what is wanted in certain cases also.

I think Soniformer already has a 1.5s release capability so that should be enough to prevent expander pumping.

Thanks.

-Kyle

ED: There's a pic of a downward expander transfer curve near the bottom of this Rip Rowan article (not that you haven't seen one before Aleksey, for other folks if they haven't): http://www.prorec.com/prorec/articles.nsf/articles/F0057F0FA68D59DF8625664B00130E57

And a cool SOS magazine article on expanders (usually meaning downward expander): http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/Apr03/articles/sequencergates.asp

OK, I understand.  I think this will require an additional mode switch.  I will probably replace the 'C.Disable' switch with a mode selector - Upward, Off, Downward.

Thanks Aleksey - this is too cool!  DId I say thank you yet? :) Thanks, Kyle

I can't believe I haven't bought this plug yet...I figured you had done everything possible with it by now, but this would be a great option!  After I finish building my new guitar and getting a good preamp/DI I will have to get back to buying Voxengo gear.

PS: I go to a very good recording/sound arts school and I wear my Voxengo t-shirt frequently...can I get a special discount?

(kidding)

Brian, thanks for your support! :)
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.