Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Kick & Bass Glue - ordering of width/pan env

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

Here's an application that could take advantage of the re-ordering of the width and pan envelope if it were allowed.

I'm trying to get the bass guitar and kick drum to sound more cohesive (instead of more pumpin' like you might do with a side-chain) so I have routed the bass guitar to the left channel and kick drum to the right channel of a sub-buss and inserted Soniformer in the subbuss.

I want to try to glue the bass and kick together in a way that when the kick hits (kick attack is much more dynamic than the bass guitar) it gets compressed/limited to taste while at the same time the body of both the kick and bass guitar are compressed and smoothed out or leveled a bit.  Then to kind of glue them together and have the rhythm of the kick affect the bass - and vice versa - the stereo link in Soniformer can be set to taste.  For example 50% would apply a percentage of compression to the bass guitar if the kick drum activited the compressor, and if the bass guitar activated the compressor a percentage would apply to the kick.  Now they're kind of breathin together but still have an amount of independence. (Note: Thanks to your latest addition in Elephant stereo link gradients can be done there also).

All of that verbage above was just to describe the setup.  What I do next is to move the bass and kick in towards center (they are panned L/R) by adjusting the stereo width to about %25 or so to taste.  But now the level balance of the kick and bass may be slightly off so I would like to adjust the pan a bit where I could make the (L) Bass louder or (R) Kick louder...but PAN is at the post WIDTH position in the signal routing so all that does is move the entire image Left or Right.

If I was able to place the PAN at the pre-WIDTH position in the signal chain then I could do everything in Soniformer.  This is a minor problem as all I have to do is put an instance of C_SuperStereo or similiar plugin after Soniformer to adjust pan/width.

Anyway - I though if it wasn't too hard to make an option concerning the routing order that would be cool.

Thanks for thinking about this!

ED: Kind of OT to the point of this post but using Soniformer Mix/Dry adds another dimension to the cohesive glue idea also and is part of the famous parallel routing technique.  Just thought I'd mention it to be complete...

Kyle, thanks for the explanation of the problem - I'll see if I can implement this 'order reversal' for Pan/St.Width stages.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.