Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Larger ratio granularity request

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

I am using a 'flat' threshold at the max -50dB and a very light ratio 1.1:1 along with ENV detector and Fluffy knee which gives a super smooth ride - like a 1962 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (with fins).

If I want a bit more control though I have to go allll the way to 1.2:1 ratio which is a huge leap at that threshold.  I can bring the threshold up but then that changes the character of the whole thing.

Would it be possible to add 'Polysquasher' type resolution to the ratio so I can set 1.14:1 and things of that nature ?

Thanks for considering this!  Kyle

I'll implement a finer display.  But if you want to have a finer control, you simply need to hold the ALT key while moving envelope's node/segment.

kylen,

Just wanted to say that reading your post has completed changed and improved my use of Soniformer.  Previously, I was using it with higher (and, in fact, rather subtle) threshold settings and higher compression ratios.  In fact, this is the first time I've ever experimented with low level/ratio "mastering" compression settings in any way (i.e. including Soniformer).

I'd be curious if anyone uses my old approach for anything?  Or do most people prefer the approach you refer to?

One other note:

I tried comparing one of my mixes with a "pro" mix yesterday (a modern tune from Deep Purple - "Perfect Strangers" to be exact), and I used the metering in Soniformer to help me see the differences (i.e. for this purpose, threshold/ratio are set a zero, so you just get the metering function).  I was pleased at how clearly this helped me see a big difference: how much "flatter" the Pro mix was than mine (I won't go into the details!).

FWIW, I also looked at the wave form graphic in Cubase compared to my mix and noticed that mine was considerably more spikey/transient heavy than the pro mix, and therefore thinner.  This new way of using Soniformer helped with this a great deal, and the new file - by comparison - is much more balanced in this respect.

One more note:

There were a few areas in the mix where I was getting some bad mid-range spikes (say in the 500-2K range), rather than trying to EQ this out, I handled it in Soniformer by:

> creating a sort of soft threshold transition line to the range (using two threshold points on either side of it)

> increasing the threshold a few tenths of a point.

I think in the overall mix I was using a threshold around 1:4, but in the troubled area I used 1:6.  Now - this is damage contol (i.e. the mix should be better), but just mentioning it.

Does anyone else do this?

Threshold 1:4 ?  Maybe you've meant ratio?

I guess this ratio is too strong.  For mix compression I would keep it below 1:2, in almost any situation.

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:

Threshold 1:4 ?  Maybe you've meant ratio?
I guess this ratio is too strong.  For mix compression I would
keep it below 1:2, in almost any situation.
Yes - you are right, I meant ratio.  Thanks for the advice on setting it!

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.