Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer How about a Simple-Former?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

CascadeHush, you are right - that's like running 32 stereo compressors with 32 bandpass filters.  I'm currently working on the next version and I was already able to implement some performance improvements, especially when the stereo linking envelope is at 100%.

Well any CPU optimisations would be welcome so long as they don't compromise the sound.  I'm sure I don't have to worry about that. :D

I always run stereo linking at 100%.  I tried changing the stereo linking and the stereo image was very odd, but then I guess you'd already know that.  I imagine some people use this to effect, but I can't imaging using it on a complete stereo mix.

Yes, stereo linking is more of an artistic things.  And so such optimization is worth it as in most cases st.linking envelope is at 100%.

Hi Aleksey,

I wonder if you're willing to give some details about the 32 bandpass filters - center frequency, b/w, and slope.  Just curious.  Also I'm wondering if Soniformer2 is so smooth because maybe there is some overlap between adjacent compressors.

Thanks,

Kyle

Bandpass filters are equally-spaced with about 1/3 octave intervals and the filters are not extremely steep and so bands do overlap.

I doubt the steepness matters too much, since it is peaks that trigger the compressor.

Anyway, we know it works :)

Well you know both peaks or envelope can be set for detection.

I don't know much about compressor design that's why I was wondering about the slope of each filter - I think different db/octave slopes matter in compressor crossovers as they matter in EQs.  Otherwise why not just have all slopes at 110dB/octave so they are mostly totally independent and isolated as opposed to something that overlaps more at 48 or 24dB/octave.  It's my curiousity at this point.

Soniformer2 does work for sure - the only one of its' kind on the planet I think!

Well we are getting way beyond my limited understanding here...

But I'm pretty sure that steep filter curves tend to bring in phase displacement.

Also, we were talking about things being smooth, and I don't see how you achieve smoothness if you break things up so severely.

I mean the opposite in the case of Soniformer2 - I think things get smoother the less severe the bandpass filter slopes (essentially crossovers) are in addition causing some overlap between the [serially stacked] adjacent compressor bands as Aleksey has stated.

If you look at T-Racks multiband I think the bass band has something like a 24dB/octave slope which I don't think is real steep and it sounds pretty smooth.  If I set Ozone3 multiband to digital mode and make the slopes as steep as possible and solo a band then I can hear a little bit of grit and noise in there maybe from too steep of a slope.  Anyway I'm just noticing some differences in DAW compressors - thinking out loud kind of...

Bandpass filter's rolloff in Soniformer is close to -12dB/oct.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.