Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer What's happening under the hood?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi everyone.  This is my first post here!

I'm just wondering if anyone can shed some light on what's happening under the hood with Soniformer.  It's stated in the manual that it is a 32band dynamics plugin, but I'm interested to know how that is achieved.

It certainly sounds clear in most cases, so it seems more likely to me that this is actually a 32 fixed band graphic with dynamic capabilities.  What about the phase relationship between the bands?

I don't expect any trade secrets to be given away :) Would just be handy to know what's actually occurring inside the plugin as I find this often helps me to choose my tools more judiciously.

Thanks

It is indeed, very close to 32-bit graphics equalizer in its operation, and it does inducde some phase shift across the spectrum, but since the band splitting is not very steep, the phase shift is moderate.

OK Thank you.  This info is very useful.  It will mean I am more likely to use my LP dynamic EQ in more cases and will use the soniformer when a heavier hand is needed.

Also may I ask then, that if you switch the unused bands to fully dry using the wet mix control, does this mean that there will be no change to the phase shift in those areas?

Is there a way I can control the plugin on a band by band basis?  If not, is this a control option you think you may implement?

Thanks again.  I'm very impressed at your service!

The phase shift is constant, does not depend on the wet/dry mix.  Separate band control is not planned for implementation - no much need for it in my opinion.

If the phase shift is constant whatever... then I agree.  Not much point.

I really really like the interface.  It's refreshingly unique. :-)

Is a linear phase option just too tricky to implement? (ridiculous latency?!?) Or again, do you not see much point?

Linear-phase filtering is theoretically an option, but to my knowledge, linear-phase band-pass filters sound a bit "hollow", "tubular" due to pre-ringing, so this may not be that much desirable.

Fair enough mate!  You're the expert :)
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.