Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Input Slope and Weighted Analysis

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Aleksey,

I've got a few questions about how to use the Input Slope parameter properly and how is it related to the weighted spectrums.  You advise, "2.  Start the audio playback, enable the input spectrum monitoring mode and adjust the Input Slope parameter."

What exactly should I be looking for here?  Am I trying to find the position where the spectrum looks most 'flat' before applying any processing, or should I make a subjective analysis like, "I know my mix sounds a little bassy to begin with so I should adjust the Input Slope until it reflects that."

I noticed most of your presets range between 3.0 and 4.5 for the I.S.  Is there a default number that correlates to no slope adjustment?

The Input Slope adjustment affects only the spectrum display and not the audio processing itself, correct?  I mean to say, the I.S. only affects what I see and not what I hear, right?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say, "The 'Internal' weighting option uses idealistic spectrum compensation." Is this a custom spectrum not related to A- or C- weighting?  Is it something akin to the ears' sensitivity to music rather than noise (like the current A- and C- standards are)?  Or do you mean to suggest that an output curve shaped like an upside down parabola will be close to the sound of modern mastering EQ-wise?

Should any desired spectrum weighting be engaged when doing the initial I.S. adjustment or should I wait until after the I.S. is determined?

Is the A + C weighting the same as the rarely used B-weighting standard?

Sorry for the glut of questions, but I'm overwhelmed with the power of this plugin after a 30 minute tryout, and I want to make sure I'm using it properly.  Let me throw this complement your way: there will come a day when people talk about your plugins like they talk about an original Urei 1176 or a vintage Neve console.  Keep up the good work..... (Cue sound of wallet opening).

I think the idea of the IS is to start out with a roughly flat spectrum...  I usually start out pretty close to this, for most of my mixes anyway so I don't usually need to adjust it.

I usually aim for a fairly flat spectrum without using weighting... but I havn't really mastered the plugin yet.  I am usually just smoothing out a few humps, usually one for the bass and one for the treble.

You could try downloading the free SPAN plugin from Voxengo so you can see what effect the plugin is having.

I hope this helps till AV can answer. :)

Jens Brewer, Input slope also affects the analysis since it 'rotates' the spectrul around existing Threshold control envelope.  Indeed, Input slope should be tuned until you get a mostly 'flat' spectrum.  Having experience you can set the slope to some predetermined value - modern tracks have 3.5-4 dB slope.  Some very old recordings may have 6 dB slope.  Moreover you can correct several tracks of an album by using the same input slope and trying to achieve a flat spectrum display by adjusting control envelopes (like Out Gain).

Weighting works like the Slope control - it is applied before analysis is performed.  The 'Internal' weighting option is a curve I have empirically come up with - I do not think it fully relates to some physical facts, but it can be useful nevertheless. 'A + C' weighting does not substitute for the B weighting - it is just an average of A and C curves.  While C curve is used for loud recordings, 'A + C' can be useful for normal volume recordings.

Weighting is only a helper - it is not something very solid nor it is 'a must'.

The slope affects the sound.  If you try one of the presets (for example), and try moving the slope from one extreme to another, you can hear the balance shifting from bass to treble.

I usually start out with it set around 3.5 and when I have almost finished the mixdown, one of my last tasks is to go back and make fine adjustments to just the slope, to make sure the bass-treble mix is correct.  I don't change anything else at that point (since I have already set everything earlier on).

I also use the 4db/o setting in CurveEQ.  It only goes up in whole number incriments.  I have found 3db/o to be way too bright and anything over 4 to be to bassy.  Using 4 in CuveEQ and around 3.7 in Soniformer seems to work okay for creating fairly flat frequency responces.

But then that is probably all dependant on the type of music you are mixing.

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.