Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Fluffy ?

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi,

Just got my copy of the Soniformer and as I was testing,reading and playing with it, I can't seem to understand the 'fluffy' thing.

So what does it do ?

The only thing I could find in the help/manual is :

"The "Fluffy" control button disables or enables default "fluffy" behavior.  In the "Normal" mode Soniformer compresses/expands in a more common and predictable way."

Anyone ?

Stevie

Actually, this is hard to describe.  From math side, the gain reduction function is squared.

During compression this creates a slight peak right after the signal reaches the threshold level.  Not that this is actually a peak or negative gain reduction, but a slight gain reduction 'suspend' after which the gain reduction is raised relatively swiftly.

Ok thx !

I think I understand that ;-)

As I read this ,there is a slight non-change in gainreduction right after the signal hits it the threshold point.

So .....do the attack & release times you set alter this behaviour ?Change the time to come out of this 'suspend' mode ?

And how does it react when using it on an expansion-ratio ?

Just curious ;-)

Stevie

with expansion, things are pretty the same - it suspends for a moment, and then increases the volume (or something like that).

Attack and Release don't directly alter this behaviour.

Aleksey, you said "During compression this creates a slight peak right after the signal reaches the threshold level.  Not that this is actually a peak or negative gain reduction, but a slight gain reduction 'suspend' after which the gain reduction is raised relatively swiftly."

So we're talking about the detector then ?  This actually affects the attack 'shape' it sounds like and so would give a slightly different 'character' to the compressor?  I need to listen for that better...

This mode does not affect detector - only compressor part.  This affects the shape of compression transfer function.

Thanks Aleksey...that's interesting.

Then instead of having a typical knee Fluffy gives Soniformers Transfer curve a kind of peak or bump right at the threshold where mild gain reduction occurs followed by a more aggressive gain reduction once the signal exceeds the fluffy zone.

A typical knee would extend a bit below the threshold but Fluffy only has an effect above the Threshold so it's kind of half a knee.  Is that almost right ?

Thanx

hehe...sorry - Christmas present to myself this year - understanding Fluffy! :)

Yes, this is very close (i.e. probably this is close to a kind of knee).
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.