Voxengo Premium Membership - All Voxengo Plugins For a Fixed One-Time Fee
Forums     Plugins     Soniformer Calibrating Sonic Finalizer & Attack

This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.

Hi Aleksey,

I am trying to 'calibrate' Sonic Finalizer so I can use the controls better to get a spectral balance that is pleasing to me.  In other words I am trying to understand the controls better.

My chain has Sonic Finalizer (1.1h) first followed by CurveEQ (1.8e).  I'm using CurveEQ to see what I'm doing using the 1/3 octave spectrum analyzer.  I also have CurveEQ set for a +3db per octave slope to conform to my usual loudness compensation.

Now I loop a 10 second 16 bit wave file of whitenoise created using cool edit pro.

To get a flat spectrum as viewed by CurveEQ I use the following settings in Sonic Finalizer:

Normal, Unlink

dry mix -inf db, wet mix 0db

High End = Thres -62db, Atk 6.4ms, Rel 1999ms, Ratio 8.75:1, Gain 0db

Low End = Thres -82db, Atk 6.4ms, Rel 1999ms, Ratio 8.75:1, Gain 0db

Sonic Finalizer gain spectrum lights are just beginning to glow very dimly at this point indicating gain reduction is beginning.

Now as I move the attack knobs together (using alt) from 6.4ms toward the slowest attack (399ms) the gain lights get brighter finally turning bright red indicating full on gain reduction.

Is this backwards, shouldn't the faster attack (6.4ms) have more gain reduction than the slower (399ms) ?  Is the attack knob wired in backwards or is my experiment flawed ?

I've noticed this while trying to balance actual music but thought if I tried whitenoise (all frequencies balanced the same) I'd have more control and the experiment could be repeated easier.

I am able to balance music at any rate so this is more of a curiousity than a show stopper.  The tool sounds very good and is very useful to me.

Thank you for your thoughts in advance !

Is this backwards, shouldn't the faster attack (6.4ms) have more gain
reduction than the slower (399ms) ?  Is the attack knob wired in
backwards or is my experiment flawed ?
Yes, it looks like I've missed something.  I'll post the newer version soon.  However, this will have an unfortunate impact on the already usable presets.

Yes - the presets, they are really good and usable I like them a lot and a super starting point.

The current version of SF has allowed me to balance most of a project sucessfully already so I'll have to "migrate" to the new version in stages - or I might just scrap this project though and begin again especially if I can control SF better.

The good news is I am getting really fast at dialing in the settings now so that's no big deal !  Maybe the presets can be fixed up later...

Thank you,

KyleN

Hi Aleksey,

This problem is fixed by your SF 1.1j version you released on May 5.

Thank you again for the fine work on fixing the software and readjusting all of the presets.  Last night I used it on a mixed track I am mastering.  Today I will continue digging into this great product !

kylen

OK, Kylen, I'm glad to know SF works better now.  Thanks for your support!

BTW, please, read 'what's new' info - it tells how to convert existing presets.  It's not that hard - release&attack must be swapped if the according 'ratio' was set for compression.

Thanks for your work, the controls make much more sense now ;-)

Sonic Finaliser continues to sound excellent.  I am curious to know what the "fluffy" mode does (other than increasing the amount of compression).  I have usually preferred the sound of Normal to Fluffy, but since Fluffy is the default mode of SF, perhaps I am missing something?

Andrew Milne

'Fluffy' mode actually uses the square of the gain, so it behaves fluffy.  Normal works like most compressors work.

What sort of transfer function does that give?  Wouldn't you just end up with absolute gain reduction, that's not what I hear, it must be more complicated than that?

In 'fluffy' mode SF--after calculating the gain reduction like it does in 'normal' mode--squares it.  Actually, I like 'fluffy' mode because it allows to create 'airy' mix, with a very special structure. 'Normal' mode gives a pretty ordinary multi-band compression/expansion.

OK, so I'm in "fluffy" mode, the input signal exceeds the threshold by 10dB and my compression ratio is 2:1.  So the gain reduction is 5^2 = 25dB??, this would make it quieter than the threshold itself!  I must be misunderstanding something -- don't rush to answer I'm sure you're very busy, and thanks for implementing the Max L/R channel mode in CurveEQ.
This topic was created before release of the latest product version, and it may contain details irrelevant to this version.  Replying is disabled for this topic.